Looking for help with Asus router

GMiller

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
So I've had an Asus RT-66U router for a couple of years now, and all and all, its been great. A week or so ago, the night before I had to leave for a trip, I noticed my internet was out. I did the usual power cycle on the router and modem, nothing changed. Plugged my desktop directly into the modem and the internet worked, so no problem there.

So I rewired the router up and factory reset it. I was able to get to the router settings page, but when I went to go through the router setup, it failed to connect to the internet, telling me to plug it in or that it needed additional login info, even when hardwired. So I ran my desktop off the modem til I got back.

After getting back, repeated everything I did before with the same results. I have one of those mode/router combo boxes from Spectrum and had the tech disable its router functions so I could use mine. I tested an old router, an old linksys, and sure enough, my old network popped up.

So something is amiss with my Asus router.

1 - Since I could connect to the Asus router settings page, does that mean the Ethernet-in port is dead while the out ports are fine?

2 - Is it possible to use a different port as the Ethernet-in?

3 - Anyone have experience with Asus RMA process?

Solution
i would first change the ethernet cable connecting the router to the modem

it is connected to the wan port, the usually yellow one right?

if that doesn't help, i would update the firmware on that asus, check for updates and the procedure that must be followed to update it

if that doesn't help either and the unit is still covered by a warranty, then no matter how good or bad their rma process is, it is there and you should use it, so after trying the mentioned steps and if none works, rma

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i would first change the ethernet cable connecting the router to the modem

it is connected to the wan port, the usually yellow one right?

if that doesn't help, i would update the firmware on that asus, check for updates and the procedure that must be followed to update it

if that doesn't help either and the unit is still covered by a warranty, then no matter how good or bad their rma process is, it is there and you should use it, so after trying the mentioned steps and if none works, rma

Solution

GMiller

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

I tried changing out the cable (which works on my old router), changing ports on the modem (has multiple since its a modem/router combo), and updating the firmware. No luck so far. Guess I'll look into the RMA process. Thanks for your time!