Looking for help with Z170X gaming 7, H100i v2, HAF 932

Yahbe

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Ok so i just got my new parts for my new computer.. I'm using a Z170X Gaming 7 mobo.. the problem I've ran into is this mobo only has 2 usb ports at the bottom of the mobo and 2 usb 3.0 under the ram area.. I'm using the HAF 932 case and a Corsair H100i V2 to my cpu cooler and not noting the case f-panel requires 2 usb ports thinking it only require 1 and the the H100i V2 has a usb also.. so i'm looking at 3 usb with only 2 ports.. is there any connectors the split 1 usb for both f-panel usb?

Also It has a IEEE 1394 on my HAF 932 and not sure we're this is suppose to connect to.. thats a new one on me..

And my last question is i have the H100i v2 in and everything but not sure if I'm suppose to plug it into the cpu fan or cpu opt.. I heard cpu fan for one fan but cpu opt for 2 or more and the H100i v2 has 2 fans connected into one leading to the pump so would it be consider 1 fan or 2 and which would be the right one to plug into..

Solution
Despite using an entire USB 2.0 header, the h100i only actually uses one of the two ports the header provides, so a splitter will probably be perfectly fine, but you should've checked first.

IEEE 1394 is Firewire and more or less extinct.

The two h100i fans are split, and you only plug one lead in. You don't control the fans individually, and you should use CPU_FAN header or your PC will likely fail POST as it will think you don't have any cooler attached.

Hope this helps!
Despite using an entire USB 2.0 header, the h100i only actually uses one of the two ports the header provides, so a splitter will probably be perfectly fine, but you should've checked first.

IEEE 1394 is Firewire and more or less extinct.

The two h100i fans are split, and you only plug one lead in. You don't control the fans individually, and you should use CPU_FAN header or your PC will likely fail POST as it will think you don't have any cooler attached.

Hope this helps!

Solution

Yahbe

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Yea i tired to look at the interface info on the case and other areas but never found any info on how many ports the 4xusb2.0 required. Last case had same amount but only used 1 port.. bad luck plus not sure wherr to fine info like that into the case! Still kinda new to this. Only my 2nd build lol

And ok great i have it plugged into the cpu_fan and wanted to check to make sure. Also I know the H100i had a wire which connected to both fans which lead me to believe they were being controlled as one so the other wire would plugged into the cpu_fan port was the one but wasnt sure. And if you don't mind, what is the CPU_Opt used for?

USB headers usually supply two ports. Am surprised you managed to connect 4 to one header and had them all working.

CPU_OPT is just an extra cpu_fan header. The opt stands for optional. Its mostly for elaborate water cooled systems etc.

Yahbe

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Naw it won't work all 4 at once.. from my understanding if i could get the usb y splitter or hub which ever it called only 2 of the 4 would be usable at a time.. but was wondering where I could get one being I'm having no luck finding the 9pin usb to 2x 9pin usb hub which isn't that a big of a deal but was just wondering.. but thanks for the info and help.. Nice to have someone explain that the H100i v2 water cooler connects to the CPU_FAN and not the CPU_OPT because other places I've read one would say fan and someone else would say opt lol