Question Looking for help

Jan 1, 2022
I built my sons computer last year, today he moved the tower and after plugging it back in there is nothing coming on. I replaced and tested the power supply and there is no load response after plugging the power source in to the mother board. I have checked the board for visual electrical damage or hot spots and see nothing. I did have the new power supply tested, as soon as they plug the tester into the mother board the fan comes on. wondering if this is a mother board issue or is there a step i could try before replacing the board? Thank You

Ralston18

Titan
For the record update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

= = = =

No beep codes, LED's, Q-codes etc. per the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual.

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Will the computer boot using iGPU (if supported)? (Remove GPU for testing purposes.)

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Something could have been jarred loose during the move.

What else may have changed? Wall outlet, surge protector, power strip, extension cord - anything at all now different? Added, subtracted, changed?

= = = =

Who tested and how was the new PSU tested?

Remember that PSU's provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to varying components. A fan coming on is not at all an indication of a fully functioning PSU.

PSU(s) - do verify that power cables from different PSU's were not mixed and matched.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltage(s) out of tolerance may indicate a faltering/failing PSU.

Jan 1, 2022
For the record update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

= = = =

No beep codes, LED's, Q-codes etc. per the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual.

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Will the computer boot using iGPU (if supported)? (Remove GPU for testing purposes.)

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Something could have been jarred loose during the move.

What else may have changed? Wall outlet, surge protector, power strip, extension cord - anything at all now different? Added, subtracted, changed?

= = = =

Who tested and how was the new PSU tested?

Remember that PSU's provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to varying components. A fan coming on is not at all an indication of a fully functioning PSU.

PSU(s) - do verify that power cables from different PSU's were not mixed and matched.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltage(s) out of tolerance may indicate a faltering/failing PSU.

Computer has no response, power supply is not responding once its plugged into mother board. Fan doesn't start turn as it should once the load is added. I do have a multi meter and did go to school for electronics, do very little work on computers i work on medical equipment.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model PSU: wattage, age, condition? History of heavy gaming use?

Try the Lifewire multi-meter test.

The testing process is very straightforward and likely simpler than some tests you have done and need to do as a medical tech. (My brother was a medical tech.)

Another testing link for the pin outs:

https://www.techdim.com/test-computer-power-supply/

Use the pin out diagram as a "checklist" - test pin by pin. Verify that the the pin outs match the PSU.

Test a couple of PSU's if at all possible....