Looking for home surveillance/security camera that is not cloud or cell phone dependent

D

Deleted member 2783327

For some time I've wanted to add a motion activated, night vision security camera to the front of my house.

Something that will work without Internet access and stream the content to my local network - To a PC on that network - wirelessly.

The camera would have WiFi and solar power. Would be at least IP66 rated for outdoor use.

Everything I can find (I'm in Australia). works only with cell phone apps or requires cloud storage.

I will only use it to store data locally, but in any case, what if the Internet is out? What if I don't have a cell phone or the cell network is down? Then the camera would be useless.

I had a read of this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/home-security-camera-recommendations.3756232/

It talks about SD cards. I take it this means going out, removing the card, downloading the data then putting the card back? Wouldn't it just be easier to just stream straight to a PC dedicated to surveillance?

kanewolf

Titan
For some time I've wanted to add a motion activated, night vision security camera to the front of my house.

Something that will work without Internet access and stream the content to my local network - To a PC on that network - wirelessly.

The camera would have WiFi and solar power. Would be at least IP66 rated for outdoor use.

Everything I can find (I'm in Australia). works only with cell phone apps or requires cloud storage.

I will only use it to store data locally, but in any case, what if the Internet is out? What if I don't have a cell phone or the cell network is down? Then the camera would be useless.

I had a read of this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/home-security-camera-recommendations.3756232/

It talks about SD cards. I take it this means going out, removing the card, downloading the data then putting the card back? Wouldn't it just be easier to just stream straight to a PC dedicated to surveillance?
The bigger problem, IMO is the solar power requirement. That eliminates most cameras, unless you want to spend big $$$ for a true solar power with battery solution.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Actually, there is a huge selection of cameras with solar panels. The brick wall I keep hitting is they either only send data to the cloud or only work with cell phones. It's driving me nuts ;)

D

Deleted member 2783327

Yes, but those all are more toy cameras, IMO. They do use cloud or phone. Serious cameras are wired and require power.
Fasir enough. As I'm renting and don't have owner permission to wire the house I have limited choices.