[SOLVED] Looking for idea for a nine inch monitor for rebuild of old portable computer

Thecatboys

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
I am rebuilding an old 1983 compaq portable as a gaming PC, and since the computer originally came with a 9 inch CRT, I am looking for an equivalent sized screen to fit in the opening. I was thinking about a camera monitor, as there are some that come in that size and are 1080p, but based upon the reviews they have some latency issues. My only other thought is something like a tablet screen... thoughts?

First, I love this idea. Second, what kind of hardware is going to be driving this thing? Are you looking for modern performance out of it? Do you have a resolution in mind? What kind of interface will you be looking for?

Something like this might be interesting to go with: https://www.buydisplay.com/default/...screen-tft-lcd-display-with-hdmi-driver-board
It doesn't have to be used as a touch screen, and it has an HDMI interface so it will be better with a wider range of hardware than something like eDP which you'll find on most modern panels designed for portable systems.

Thecatboys

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
First, I love this idea. Second, what kind of hardware is going to be driving this thing? Are you looking for modern performance out of it? Do you have a resolution in mind? What kind of interface will you be looking for?

Something like this might be interesting to go with: https://www.buydisplay.com/default/...screen-tft-lcd-display-with-hdmi-driver-board
It doesn't have to be used as a touch screen, and it has an HDMI interface so it will be better with a wider range of hardware than something like eDP which you'll find on most modern panels designed for portable systems.
My plan is to put modern components in it, and leave a second HDMI port free so I have the option to hook it up to a bigger monitor. Since I'd like it to be able to run VR, I'm thinking of putting in an RTX 2070 and some sort of I7. I don't really need a touchscreen, but I would like it to be 1080p, or whatever the highest pixel density will be where I won't be able to see individual pixels. Thanks for your quick response!

Thecatboys

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
It says 1080P.
On a 9" screen, it should look good.
Can you post a photo of the case?
I had at first assumed you were just resurrecting the old parts, hence the vga requirement.
Sure! Here is a photo of it from yesterday, before I had removed the rest of the old components... I'm not home right now, but I can take a more up to date picture when I am!
fgj8wzgjbtu31.jpg