Looking for ideas. Computer will not turn on.

Affixer

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
I just finished my first build a couple months ago. Everything working perfectly until two days ago. I turned off the computer, next day it will not turn on.

Here is my build:

CPU Intel Core......i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler...........Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard..........ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150
Memory................G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage.................Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD
.................Western Digital Red Pro 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card ............EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX
Case.....................NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply.........Antec 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

What I've done:
I found and checked a 17 point "my computer will not turn on" step by step check list by someone here on TH forum. I have a power button on my mobo and reset button, so it's not just a matter of case to mobo wiring.
I have checked all connections, made sure that indeed the psu switch was on. I have just done the paperclip test and the psu lights up, fan spins. connected everything back, still no computer start up. I removed the power, and removed the cmos battery for about 30 seconds.... connected all back up.... nothing.
I can see no damage, the computer was not moved or changed in anyway. It was plugged into a surge protector, but I have tried a different plug in a different room.
I'm afraid that I fried my mobo, or something else. I don't have any friends that do computer stuff so I'm on my own as far as extra parts to breadboard my system. I am relatively new to this but have learned a lot in the last month, and can figure much out with simple directions.

Please, if anybody has any suggestions I'm ready to dissemble the whole build and start again.
Thanks, I'm sure that this is a frequent question, but I searched and found mostly "new builds" that have not been up and running, or old builds that are failing. If anyone has a thread that covers this issue I would love to be directed to it.

Thanks again

jimmyjammywho

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
take out all the ram sticks in your pc and boot without them. If your motherboard beeps then its fine and your rams the culprit. try to boot with one ram stick at a time to see if thats the problem. If no beep code then your motherboard may be dead.

Affixer

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
Additionally, the only recent change to the software was a Windows 7 WAT install for licensing. Did I brick my machine with that? And if so, is that a reformat issue?

Affixer

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Both sticks of RAM are out, and when I press the power button on the MOBO I get nothing. There is a little led that (when operating normally) flash numbers on start up, and now I get nothing...
So mobo is dead?

Affixer

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Thanks, I'll try that now, what other choice do I have, right? So, do I need a monitor for this bare config? What should I expect to see? So far, I haven't seen any sign of life. I just retried the paperclip test, worked. So, I expect that the mobo lights should turn on?

do you have a multimeter. Psu's can light up with the paper clip test but not all voltage rails may be active. Should be able to find an atx pinout diagram and measure for the different voltages 3.3v, 5v, 12v. You dont need a monitor but it shouldnt affect things if you do plug one in.