[SOLVED] Looking for ideas for a case and mobo for a 3950x

Uleepera

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
I plan to replace my 6700k system over the holiday. I also plan to consolidate a dell t30 unraid media server and my thought was to get a 3950x. I would install unraid, run a win 10 vm for 12 cores and keep 4 cores for my media server which would double the server potential from the 1225v5 and triple the 6700k I'm currently running.

I have two questions though.

The first is about case selections. I'm using an old Thermaltake with a build in hot swap drive. I no longer need this and would prefer reasonable internal 3.5 drive options. My thought was at least 8 bays. This should give me more than enough storage for media and enough to allocate to windows. I do plan to run a rad preferably a closed loop for the cpu and maybe something for the video card although I'll likely keep my 980gtx until 3080 or 3070 is out. I do appreciate aesthetics for the case but don’t care at all about rgb. Any suggestions? Price cap would be $300.

The second question is about mobo selection. I would think a x570 is probably a no brainer but I’m wondering if there are any suggestions for this? I’d like to future proof from a port selection as much as possible. As a result, I’m paying attention to USB generation, on-board networking, and anything else that might be worth considering.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I’ll probably be ordering everything next week and assembling in early Dec. I would probably result 2x 16gb 3200 DDR4s, my gtx980, my PM961 1tb, and some existing drives.

Last edited:
Solution
For beautiful simplistic, well designed cases that allows for some great cable management. I would recommend NZXT

There is some great and affordable MSI motherboards that supports newer gen USB which allows supports fast charge for your mobile devices.

iamrockandrollthe1st

Commendable
Oct 19, 2017
For beautiful simplistic, well designed cases that allows for some great cable management. I would recommend NZXT

There is some great and affordable MSI motherboards that supports newer gen USB which allows supports fast charge for your mobile devices.

Solution