Looking for Info Recourse for what doesn't integrate when upgrading to windows 10.

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Note: I am upgrading from windows 7.

Instead of Making a huge list of all the stuff I need to me certain will still work when upgrading to windows 10 I would like to know if anyone has info on broad programs and files that do and don't work.

Extra Question: My OS is installed on a MBR Drive will the windows 10 installer handle converting it to GPT?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can run this and see what it thinks of your current install: https://www.askwoody.com/2016/how-to-run-the-windows-10-compatibility-checker-without-gwx/

I don't have a specific list, but since win 10 been out 18 months the list of programs that still don't work is probably small. And there are probably work arounds for all the popular ones now.

Extra question: If you just upgrade, it will keep the MBR format on your drive. You need to clean install before it will force GPT on you.
If you do a clean install of Win 10 and your motherboard has a UEFI bios, win 10 will likely insist on using GPT when you get to screen where you choose what partition to install it onto - see steps 12 or 13 here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
It depends on if BIOS boot method set to UEFI or Legacy or CSM or Auto (terms vary depending on motherboard maker). My ssd was MBR while I had win 7 on it but as soon as I tried to install Win 10 it decided to enforce GPT and I sat there for a few minutes not having any OS on ssd as it kept refusing to let me install Win 10 until I deleted all the partitions on the drive << it didn't tell me I had to do that though, the message could be clearer

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

I ran that command (it said success) and nothing happened is there a log file that I should check?

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

Nope, different keys. If I was going to do that I would have to clone windows 7 to another partition and set windows 10 to perform an upgrade from that correct?