Question Looking for laptop advice, Dell G15/16

Dec 7, 2022
My son is 17 and needs a new laptop. I'd like to get one which will not only serve his gaming needs but also last through the next 5 years (college). For battery life, I figure he'll mostly be using it plugged in, but perhaps on the go for class to take notes when he gets to college - not critical.

For gaming, mostly he play Fort nite currently, which I'm guessing probably has lowish requirements, but he may end up wanting to play games with higher CPU/graphics needs. I think he just started Don't Starve Together.

I'm looking at the Dell G15 or G16, with 16GB RAM and a 512GB drive. They can be had for about $900 to $1200 at the Dell Outlet store. Add a 4 year warranty for another $100 or so.

What are the opinions on these Dells for the above needs? The graphics chips for these are the RTX 3060 with 6GB or the RTX 3050 or 3050 Ti with 4GB. I don't have a good basis for comparison on these so any thoughts on this are helpful.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The laptop you've mentioned above are actually good laptops to have for a novice to mid-range gamer, even for productivity. School work would generally fall below that category meaning he'll be covered on that front as well. I can't say for what's going to come in the future but as of this moment the laptops mentioned above will handle pretty much any current gen titles with ease(if you're looking square at the RTX3060 version).

As time progresses, you can reduce details to still keep gaming.

Could you provide your location and your preferred site for purchase?

Dec 7, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thanks, Lutfij! And thanks for the info too.

It sounds like the RTX 3060 is the way to go - it didn't look like there was much price different between the G15s with the 3050 and the ones with the 3060.

I'm in the Eastern US (near Philadelphia), and I'd be getting these from Dell's outlet store site, since it has some nice discounts on the scratch-n-dent units, but they come with full warranties.