[SOLVED] Looking for LGA 1155 MBoards that are not UFEI

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I am working on ideas to upgrade from LGA775. I was pretty sure that the 1155 was it but have run into a wall. The couple boards i liked are UFEI which from my understanding will be a problem for running the XP OS . I got really interested in some boards running the B75 chipset because of the on chip legacy PCI controler as my PCI Sound card has a gamport but the turned out to be ufei, as did the z77 i liked. OC is of no concern to me, anything i run will outrun those games. I primarily boot W10, but i have kept a partition that allows me to boot into XP for running legacy games from the W98 era on some legacy harware .
If i am barking up the wrong tree let me know and fix my compass. I do not know when UFEI came to be and if it has taken over the entire world.

Last edited:
Solution
All or just some? Wondering how legacy mode works...Only familiar with manipulating BIOS.
Basically all of them. All normally available retail boards will have legacy mode available.
It works by enabling Compatibility Support Module (CSM). Then set storage boot control to legacy and that's it - install windows in legacy mode.

There can be some brand name pc-s, laptops, tablets, that have legacy mode unavailable.

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Thanks for those thoughts to consider. I first began considering 1155 after seeing an AS Rock z77 Extreme 4 advertised locally...and on the AS Rock website saw this...
OS - Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 32-bit / 8.1 64-bit / 8 32-bit / 8 64-bit / 7 32-bit / 7 64-bit / Vista™ 32-bit / Vista™ 64-bit / XP 32-bit / XP 64-bit.
So then i started looking at chipset discussions. Somewhere in there the UFEI got thrown in the mix and nixed the boards with UFEI.
I am wondering how AS R supports XP if XP is incompatible with UFEI... I need to go back and look at the B75 boards and go to the erbsites of the makers to see if they also state they support XP and ask questions there...

All or just some? Wondering how legacy mode works...Only familiar with manipulating BIOS.
Basically all of them. All normally available retail boards will have legacy mode available.
It works by enabling Compatibility Support Module (CSM). Then set storage boot control to legacy and that's it - install windows in legacy mode.

There can be some brand name pc-s, laptops, tablets, that have legacy mode unavailable.

Solution

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Thank you very much. In that case i am looking harder again at B75 chip equipped boards. Right now this is the front runner, i have been looking at the manual for several minutes now... its a Gigabyte board with a good mix of slots...
GA-B75-D3V