Question Looking for low cost phone or tablet with good gyroscope and compass features

bladerunner6

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I am in tested in using an Astrohopper app with a telescope. I would like to find a new, inexpensive device with good compass and gyroscope functionality to just permanently attach to the scope.

I want some new as versus used so I don’t worry about previous abuse. It doesn’t have to be an activated on a network since I am just using it in a Wi-Fi mode.

Any suggestions please? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

kanewolf

Titan
I am in tested in using an Astrohopper app with a telescope. I would like to find a new, inexpensive device with good compass and gyroscope functionality to just permanently attach to the scope.

I want some new as versus used so I don’t worry about previous abuse. It doesn’t have to be an activated on a network since I am just using it in a Wi-Fi mode.

Any suggestions please? Thanks.
I would look at used. I would look for a Samsung Galaxy S5. Why? Last version that has an easy to access user replaceable battery.

Reactions: Alabalcho

bladerunner6

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I would look at used. I would look for a Samsung Galaxy S5. Why? Last version that has an easy to access user replaceable battery.
I like the idea of used but my only concern is the device might have been abused drop and that might affect gyroscope performance.

Do you think that is a valid concern? Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
I like the idea of used but my only concern is the device might have been abused drop and that might affect gyroscope performance.

Do you think that is a valid concern? Thanks.
I have no idea. If they are cheap enough, you can afford to get a bad one. There is an iFixIt video on replacing the gryo on an S5.
Here is a troubleshooting page that might help you determine if it is working correctly -- https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-trou...e-monitor-issues-more-sensor-problems-1055737