Looking for Mainboard+CPU+RAM?+CASE 350-400€

Jan 10, 2019
Hello,

My PC broke down today and after some testing I came to the conclusion that either the CPU or the motherboard is dead. Seven years ago I bought it as a workstation with decent gaming capabilities and I was happy. Now my priorities have shifted quite a bit. I don't play video games anymore, but I do use some CAD programs, most of the time I use it for University (engineering) and it is also my main Multimedia device.

Parts i will reuse for now:

Power supply no name 450W
Nvidea GTX660
HDD
SSD

This means I need :
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Case

My budget is 350-400€

Motherboard:
Pretty much the only thing i need is an optical out because i feed my DAC with TOSLINK.
As far as i know i should use the newest generation of CPUs so i guess ill also need new RAM

RAM:
My old device only had 8GB and it wasn't enough. We all know how greedy Chrome can be.
But it is also the Component I can upgrade the easiest in a few months. I don't know what the current standard is right now I guess most people are still rocking with 2? I would like to buy 8GB now and another 8 next month.

CPU:
Six years ago I was very INTEL pro and the Xeon chips had quite the hype. I heard that AMD is nowadays also up there with Intel? Because of my current financial state I am simply looking for the best bang for the buck that gets me trough the next few years. I don't have problems with my 6 year old i7 3.4GHz quadcore so I guess I won't need to go too hard. I probably also need a CPU cooler.

Case:
I prefer bigger cases with more room for later upgrades. I don't like those over the top Gaming cases and I prefer them plain and simple. Any brands that have decent build quality and aren't too expensive?

I know I'm not up to date anymore and usually I really like reading into these topics and find the best possible deals but I simply don't have time right now. The university is kicking my a** and the PC breakdown has the worst possible timing.

I know the budget is tight, but I cannot afford more at the moment. I need the PC for Uni so I really hope you can help me once again. I hope I have enough money left to eat after this investment.
I'm open to any advice. Is a mainboard with ddr3 still an option or am I able to get decent products with my budget? Thanks for your help.

Greetings from Austria,
David

Solution
400 Euros can get you this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (€139.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€96.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€61.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €398.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-11 10:36 CET+0100

Few words
Put in R5 1600 CPU which has 6 cores and 12 threads, ideal for your work...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
400 Euros can get you this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (€139.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€96.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€61.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €398.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-11 10:36 CET+0100

Few words
Put in R5 1600 CPU which has 6 cores and 12 threads, ideal for your work in CAD. CPU cooler is included with CPU.
i7-3770 vs R5 1600 comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3770-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/1979vs3919
Picked ATX sized B350 chipset MoBo which has the required optical out. As requested, put in 2x 4GB 2666 Mhz RAM sticks. With 4x RAM slots on the MoBo, upgrading RAM to 16GB is easy by buying the same 2x 4GB RAM set 2nd time. Also, going with 2x RAM sticks now will give you fast dual-channel RAM off the bat, compared to the single-channel RAM when using only 1x RAM stick,
single- vs dual-channel comparison: https://ram.userbenchmark.com/Compare/HyperX-Fury-DDR4-2133-C14-1x8GB-vs-HyperX-Fury-DDR4-2133-C14-2x8GB/3555vs3552
And lastly, put in one of the best full-tower ATX cases: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. Case doesn't have a window to maintain the plain looks.

There are windowed versions of Enthoo Pro as well but they cost more,
pcpp: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TXCwrH,y8h9TW,BfPKHx,TbhKHx/

When i was looking full-tower ATX case for my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i did consider Enthoo Pro heavily since Phanteks cases are known for good build quality and so does Corsair. In the end, i ended up with Corsair 760T v2 Black instead.
Enthoo Pro video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gg6WoE6LkI

Solution