[SOLVED] Looking for memory that is compatible with Corsair Vengeance Pro Series

hwilker

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
About 4 years ago I assembled a system using the following:

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 (LGA 1150 Socket.
CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0 GHz.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1866MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R)(Red)

The system currently runs Windows 7.

I am upgrading to Windows 10 and would like to add another 16GB of memory to the system.

An exact match for the Corsair memory is hard to find and very expensive if available.

I know enough to assemble a computer but I am not very knowledgeable in the details of processor and memory compatibility.

My question is thus two fold.

First, can I use different memory modules in the remaining slots or must all the memory in the system be exactly the same.

Second, assuming that it is possible to use different memory modules, can anyone point me in the direction of suitable compatible memory that I could use.

Would any DDR3 1866 MHz memory be suitable or are there other requirements?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Completely disagree with above. Mixing different RAM kits (even the same make and model) can have issues. Often it works ok but there is always a risk and I have had first hand experience of mixing 2 kits of same make and model not being stable. This is why RAM is sold in matched kits and why it’s recommended to only use a matched kit.

My advice to avoid issues is sell your current RAM and buy a matched 32gb kit.
Completely disagree with above. Mixing different RAM kits (even the same make and model) can have issues. Often it works ok but there is always a risk and I have had first hand experience of mixing 2 kits of same make and model not being stable. This is why RAM is sold in matched kits and why it’s recommended to only use a matched kit.

My advice to avoid issues is sell your current RAM and buy a matched 32gb kit.

Solution