[SOLVED] Looking for mid-high end parts to upgrade video editing PC

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
Hi!

I built my first PC a little over 2 years ago that I use for video editing (Adobe Premiere), sometimes gaming (1440p 144Hz as of now).

Cooler Master N200 Micro ATX case
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Pro4
CPU: Intel i7-4790K
GPU: EVGA GeForce 1080 Ti
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
PSU: XFX TS Series P1550SXXB9 550W
SSD (System files and programs): Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB
... and many internal HDDs, external HDDs, and an external USB 3.1G2 HDD bay

Some Premiere projects take a long while to render, and I would like a larger case with more and faster USB ports, so I would like to upgrade to an ATX case with a new CPU, Motherboard, and PSU (if needed).

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a few months. I can wait if there's a new product or better deal upcoming.

Budget Range: Less than $1000, but flexible if I can find something future-proof.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing on Premiere, gaming (modern games like Battlefield V, etc, but I am content with how my current system handles it), web browsing

Are you buying a monitor: No, but would like flexibility for 4K gaming in the future (currently have 1440p 144Hz monitor)

Parts to Upgrade: Case, CPU, mobo, RAM only if needed, PSU only if needed

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg

Parts Preferences: I've always used Intel, but am open to AMD

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440, 144Hz

Additional requirements: Many USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, Wifi card, M.2 PCIe slot...

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Improving efficiency editing and rendering 4K video. Also, my current case barely fits the GeForce 1080 Ti and the HDDs/wires. I need a larger case with more I/O flexibility.

I was looking at the following parts:
Intel Core i9-9900K
Asus Prime Z370-A mobo
Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case (is this case large enough?)

Thank you very much for any advice!

Solution
1. If you need the performance, just purchase now. There will be subsequent releases of next gen hardware until 2020 for the AM4 platform, so you can upgrade then.
2. Again, if you can wait 6 months before getting adequate performance, wait. If not, purchase because there will always be new hardware releasing in the near future.
3. NVME will give you sustained read/write speeds, where as SATAIII speeds will slightly degrade durinig large file transfers as the cache is used. Unless you are transferring large files constantly, NVME is not necessary. This is especially the case if you only game. This is because when you game, files are temporarily read, so the difference in NVME speed is not noticeable enough to justify the price...
9900k is fine, but you should wait to see what AMD rolls out, many signs pointing to new hardware in Q1

Currently ryzen 5 at 150-170 mark is keeping up with i7-8700... So it's worth waiting to see if they put out a ryzen 7 worth of the 9900k mark.

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
I'm not exactly a hardware enthusiast, but I am beginning to have some bottlenecks with my current PC (amount of fast USB inputs, lack of NMVe, very long h264 export times for effects-heavy 4K video, etc), so I hope to upgrade within a couple months.

From quick research, it seems AMD will announce the new Ryzen 7 series at CES on Jan. 8th. Could these CPUs be worth buying on day 1 for my purposes, unlike Intel's, which you say should wait?

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016

MicroATX? You mean ATX? I need something that can fit the huge 1080 ti and then some.
EDIT - Oh, you were talking about my N200. Yeah, it's a great one!

The Ryzen 3/5 look great, but I'd prefer something more top-of-the-line. Puget Systems writes that the 9900K is better than the Ryzen 7 2700X, though I know there is a price difference.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2018-Core-i7-9700K-i9-9900K-Performance-1254

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
What would be a good motherboard, either for the 9900k or the AM4 socket, to fit my needs? I want a lot of USB 3.1 ports, will be using a Samsung 970 Pro for M.2, and Wifi is optional, but would be nice. I won't be overclocking, most likely.

Was looking at the Z390 Aorus Master or Z390 Taichi for the 9900k, I imagine there are equivalent boards for AM4.

For the 9900k any of the motherboards that are $350 USD and up will give you good quality VRM's for overclocking and the AM4 ASUS x470 board listed here has "Overkill" vrms according to Gamers Nexus. I think this is primarily because this board is going to have upgrade potential for future Ryzen chips with higher frequency and core count.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($254.91 @ B&H)
Total: $254.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-03 10:19 EST-0500

There is also a WiFi version.

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
Okay, so the new Ryzen chips I've already decided on won't be released until mid-2019. I now have a new set of questions :)

1. I would like to rebuild soonish, but still, I am willing to wait if the new technology is worth it. I've decided on Ryzen and the Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX. I could theoretically get a temporary Ryzen chip until the Zen 2 is released, yes? Or not worth it, given possible new AM4 motherboards mid-year? What is the AMD equivalent to the i7 4790k... the 1600x, perhaps?

2. Speaking of motherboards, could it be worth waiting until mid-year for a new motherboard to be released such as the X570 that has PCI-e4 and USB 3.1 Gen3? Or is that just madness? I only want to rebuild once this year, haha.

3. I am tired of editing projects off of external and internal HDDs. I currently have just one SSD, but only use it for system and applications, not project files. If I were to get an internal SSD for active projects, would an m.2 NVME SDD (Samsung 970 Pro) be worthwhile over a regular SSD (Samsung 860 Pro)? Is there any real reasons to get an m.2 NVME SSD for either system files, applications, games, or active editing projects?

4. I use an OWC enclosure (https://www.owcdigital.com/products/mercury-elite-pro-quad) for external storage, but not for working projects. Is this essentially equivalent to an internal HDD, since it connects via USB 3.1 Gen2? Is it sustainable to use this as a long-term less-intensive active project solution, or should I just continue using it for storage?

I now realize this is a lot. I would be very grateful for a response to even one of these questions. Thank you so much in advance.

1. If you need the performance, just purchase now. There will be subsequent releases of next gen hardware until 2020 for the AM4 platform, so you can upgrade then.
2. Again, if you can wait 6 months before getting adequate performance, wait. If not, purchase because there will always be new hardware releasing in the near future.
3. NVME will give you sustained read/write speeds, where as SATAIII speeds will slightly degrade durinig large file transfers as the cache is used. Unless you are transferring large files constantly, NVME is not necessary. This is especially the case if you only game. This is because when you game, files are temporarily read, so the difference in NVME speed is not noticeable enough to justify the price. This is why I tell people to prioritize capacity over throughput.
4. Continue to use it and if you get inadequate performance then make a decision. You won't know until your use case has been exacted.

Solution

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
Thank you! I don't yet need the performance as much as to refresh my PC and get some more flexibility for storage.

What is a cheap Ryzen (at least as good as the i7 4790k) that I could purchase now while waiting for Zen2? 2600x? Any deals going on with any of them?