[SOLVED] Looking for modem suggestions

Furzumz

Reputable
Hi, I don't know squat about networking so I was hoping someone could send some recommendations haha. I need a new modem as Cox thinks my current one is the cause of my packet loss and continual disconnection issues

My speed plan is (according to Cox's website) 150 MB/s but speed test show it going up to 170 mb/s

My router is a Netgear AC1750 and my current modem giving me trouble is a Surfboard SB6141

My country is USA. Budget wise I just ask it be something reasonable if possible

Solution
Yeah 2x agents in a row means they've got to be trained well. :D

If you haven't tried connecting straight to the modem with a wired connection during the problem times, I would try that. If you have a problem there, then you can get another modem, but I would highly recommend just getting a used one the exact same model of what you have--because you know it works and the likelihood of 2x modems being bad are pretty slim.

If you go with new, I would just step up to the sb6183 or the sb6190 as they've both solid and capable (I have 2x sb6190s running for over 5 years at two different sites). Don't spend for the newest of the new as that extra bandwidth capability and features haven't even been used since they came out on any isp...
Your first step is to see what cable modems are supported on your plan. That is a extremely common recommended modem for plans under 300mbps. It is not the brand of modem it would be that the modem was somehow defective. You could replace it with a new one of the same type. Arris is one of the most common and recommended brands of modems. There are models that run on faster plans but you are only going to get what you pay the ISP for and it does no good to buy say a docsis 3.1 device when the ISP will run it docsis 2 anyway.

Furzumz

Reputable
Your first step is to see what cable modems are supported on your plan. That is a extremely common recommended modem for plans under 300mbps. It is not the brand of modem it would be that the modem was somehow defective. You could replace it with a new one of the same type. Arris is one of the most common and recommended brands of modems. There are models that run on faster plans but you are only going to get what you pay the ISP for and it does no good to buy say a docsis 3.1 device when the ISP will run it docsis 2 anyway.

I found this on Cox's website:
https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html

My current plan is 'preferred 150' according to Cox so I take it anything on that list compatible with 'preferred 150' would work?

I get I could replace it with the same one but I figured it would be better if I could go with something a little cheaper as the original one I have is for 1GB speeds which I could never afford

Furzumz

Reputable
There's a reason why they call them cox...

I don't think there's anything wrong with your modem. Just get one of theirs and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, give it back and tell them to fix it properly.

They said they checked some things on their end and the modem was returning a "unhealthy status"

They offered to send a tech out but ironically it would cost about the price of a new modem for them to do so. I figure if a new modem doesn't work I could return it

They said they checked some things on their end and the modem was returning a "unhealthy status"

They offered to send a tech out but ironically it would cost about the price of a new modem for them to do so. I figure if a new modem doesn't work I could return it
I would call back and talk to someone else. A lot of time agents who don't know what they're doing will pretty much say anything to get you off the phone or rack up revenue.

Let them run a ping from them to you. They have an internal network that runs to the modem. If it shows packet loss, it's a good chance it's not your modem.

I don't think I've ever seen a cable modem fail. And I had one of the original motorola pre-docsis modems in 1995. They're just built really well--especially that model you have as arris makes solid products.

Furzumz

Reputable
I would call back and talk to someone else. A lot of time agents who don't know what they're doing will pretty much say anything to get you off the phone or rack up revenue.

Let them run a ping from them to you. They have an internal network that runs to the modem. If it shows packet loss, it's a good chance it's not your modem.

I don't think I've ever seen a cable modem fail. And I had one of the original motorola pre-docsis modems in 1995. They're just built really well--especially that model you have as arris makes solid products.

I called them up a second time and it ended up being the same result as the first time I talked to them

I asked if they could perform a packet loss test of some sort. They said they tested the connection and didnt see any problems, they also re-referenced the 'unhealthy status' thing again

Not that I'm doubting your opinion - I wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed on their end. But I figured due to money reasons I could order the modem, try that, if it doesn't work I can return it that way I can rule that out with certainty and tell any techs they send that we already tried a brand new modem. My router is also only 1 year old tops so I'm doubting its that

My problem is that my internet throughout random parts of the day disconnects completely for about ~30 to 60 seconds, give or take. It starts to recover but when its recovering it experiences arond 30% packet loss according to a packet loss test website

Once it recovers I have absolutely no packet loss and it runs just fine until it decides to disconnect and go through the whole cycle over again. Then during certain parts of the day it will run buttery smooth for hours before it starts happening again, its really weird. It also just completely stopped disocnnecting for about ~5 days seemingly going back to normal then started back up again.

Yeah 2x agents in a row means they've got to be trained well. :D

If you haven't tried connecting straight to the modem with a wired connection during the problem times, I would try that. If you have a problem there, then you can get another modem, but I would highly recommend just getting a used one the exact same model of what you have--because you know it works and the likelihood of 2x modems being bad are pretty slim.

If you go with new, I would just step up to the sb6183 or the sb6190 as they've both solid and capable (I have 2x sb6190s running for over 5 years at two different sites). Don't spend for the newest of the new as that extra bandwidth capability and features haven't even been used since they came out on any isp I've been with--ie waste of money.

If they have 'stores' or some way for them to ship you their equipment that they charge $10/mo or whatever, this is actually the best bet because when you have trouble with their own equipment, they can't point fingers anymore. Then you can return it once they fix the root cause and go back to your own modem. I've had to do this before.

Solution