Looking for Monitor to connect to (gaming) laptop (thinking 1440P 27inch)

Sep 20, 2018
I am looking for monitor recommendations.

There are 3 hard requirements:
* I connect it to my laptop, which has a high-end Nvidia gaming graphic card but remains a laptop
* I have to use it for work, which is mostly coding and programming
* I will also use it to watch video
* I will use it for single-player non-competitive gaming ranging from strategy games, to RPGs to shooters

In addition, I have no hard budget constraints but would like something sensible. Something not overly flashy and suitable for a regular desk is a big bonus.

Giving these requirements, I was thinking a 27-inch 1440p monitor, considering the constraints of a laptop. I am unsure on how important features such as 144Hz or G-Sync are, giving my non-competitive gaming profile.

A recommendation some googling gave me is the Dell Ultrasharp U2715H but, if I understand correctly, it has no 144Hz or G-Sync so unsure about its gaming qualities and if there might be different good options.
Again, gaming is not overly important and all-around use is important as well. It has to look nice on my desk.

Solution
What is your Graphics card? Gsync is an adaptive sync where it removes screen tearing (showing parts of other frames in 1 frame) without any input lag. If you Graphics card is able to have a consistent 100+ fps, then screen tearing is minimal. Also, hz is basically how many frames the monitor can display. The higher, the better if your laptop can handle it. Gsync is only needed if you really want smooth gameplay.

gmmichaeljiang

Upstanding
Sep 14, 2018
What is your Graphics card? Gsync is an adaptive sync where it removes screen tearing (showing parts of other frames in 1 frame) without any input lag. If you Graphics card is able to have a consistent 100+ fps, then screen tearing is minimal. Also, hz is basically how many frames the monitor can display. The higher, the better if your laptop can handle it. Gsync is only needed if you really want smooth gameplay.

Solution

gmmichaeljiang

Upstanding
Sep 14, 2018
The Rog Swift PG279Q would be the best choice if you have the budget. An Acer Predator XB271HU is also very good. If you don't really want IPS, then XB271HUA would be cheaper with a TN panel and otherwise the same as the XB271HU. BTW your graphics card should be able to run 1440p 144hz.

TRENDING THREADS