Looking for most value out of an upgrade

1seanob1

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of May
Budget Range: Really no budget, just to keep things reasonable say ,$1000. I am looking for the most value in terms of performance to the dollar instead of a particular price.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Exclusively for gaming, more specifically Rome 2 Total War.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: I don't know, whatever makes sense for my current system.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Location: Elizabeth, New Jersey. There is a microcenter nearby Paterson I believe.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I want to upgrade my gaming PC and am looking for the most value I can get, I only want to upgrade if it makes sense with my current build and is worth the money if not I can wait.
Processor:Intel Quad Core Q6600
Memory: 2x2GB DDR2
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 460
My motherboard is quite old and probably needs an upgrade I forget the brand name but it doesn't even have a PCIE 2.0 x16 the slot is only 1.0
I will be glad to answer any additional questions, thank you for your consideration.

piebegu

Honorable
May 7, 2013
i5 - 3570k -220$
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H - 150$
G.Skill Sniper 1600 mhz - 65$
CORSAIR TX Series - 650w - 89$
Western Digital WD Black 1TB - 95
MSI Twin Frowzer 7950 - 330$

950$

if you add a ssd your looking at 1100$ or so depending on size. You can always sacrifice a little space for a ssd/hdd mix called a "Hybrid Drive" i don't know much about them. Yes you will seea HUGE difference in proformance with that set up i listed above. There is probably better set ups but i personally run AMD. So i'm trying to help you out. Intel > AMD overall for gaming. AMD>Intel for strict budget.

The first week in June Haswell is coming out, and not from the closet. Get yourself a Haswell and motherboard and the best cooler out there, the Noctua NH-U14S. You will probably see 5-6GHz out of the monster. Then wait a few weeks for the Nvidia 780 etc. to come out. Then feast on the cheaper graphics cards.