Looking for network help

Electricjp

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
If I put my comcast router in my basement how can I get good wifi in my home. House is vey large and wired with cat 5e throughout and all the cat 5 e are in a cabinet were I'd like to put the router?

Solution
Larger Wi-Fi cover range means larger router antennas. When you will be an antenna to install it on your router or a new router look for the Wifi cover range factor which will be listed in Ghz. Most routers have 2.5Ghz cover.

andreaszero

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Larger Wi-Fi cover range means larger router antennas. When you will be an antenna to install it on your router or a new router look for the Wifi cover range factor which will be listed in Ghz. Most routers have 2.5Ghz cover.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
You would add WIFI access points. Some routers are easily converted to WIFI access points, or you can buy dedicated access points. If you are going to have several access points, I recommend you look at the Unifi system by Ubiquiti. They are inexpensive but have commercial features.

USAFRet

Titan

The basement is the absolute worst place to place the primary WiFi source.

But, if the house is already wired for Cat5e, this can work though.
Router where you desire, Cat5e to everywhere, Access Points upstairs where you need them.

Electricjp

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

Electricjp

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
Thanks I just looked them up on line. So I would put my comcast router in basements and purchase those units and just plug them into the router access ports and done?

kanewolf

Titan

Pretty much. You might even completely disable the WIFI on the Comcast unit.