Looking for new components due to possible bottlenecking

akm360

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I built my pc around 3-4 years ago, and I recently upgraded my graphic card to a 1080ti, some of the higher benchmarks are not giving me a satisfactory performance so I assume there must be a bottleneck but i cannot figure out what components to get (I assume it has to be the CPU).

I live in India so pc parts are quite pricey here, I paid approx $1250 for just the 1080ti so I'd like to take it slow on upgrading it component by component. The rest of my components are-

Asus z77-vpro mobo
i7 3770k
8GB gskill ripjaws ddr4 x 2
Antec 650w psu (Do ageing psus show a noticeable difference of performance on graphic cards?)

The benchmark I used was the 4k test in 3DMark, the normal tests gave me a 30-40 FPS range but when it came to the physics portion of the benchmark i was barely getting 8 FPS.

Please help me figure out what components would affect performance the most and what I should prioritise on replacing first.

Solution

1- no single card can handle 4k 60 fps with decent settings, reduce settings to medium then tweak the game by slowly increasing settings while maintaining decent fps

2- at 4k it is pointless to upgrade your mobo/cpu right now, you are gpu bound - the gpu is the fps limiter at 4k -

3- your cpu scores seem a bit...

Wait a second. How are you using DDR4 memory with a Z77 Motherboard? That is not compatible.

Also, at 4k your test should be okay if it is for the GPU that is. As the resolution increases, the stress on the GPU increases to an extent that the CPU bottlenecking is not an issue anymore.

akm360

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

It might be DDR3 then, I assumed it was DDR4.
Also I use a 1080p screen, the 4k test specifiacally mentioned that I did not need a 4k monitor to run the test.
Does this mean my PSU is failing and not supplying enough power to the graphics card? Why else would the performance drop so much. I assumed it might be the CPU since the performance drastically dropped during the physics intensive part of the test.

akm360

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

My score was 7102

DETAILED SCORES
3DMark Score- 7102
Graphics Score- 8980
CPU Score- 3251
Graphics Test 1- 58.16 fps
Graphics Test 2- 51.78 fps
CPU Test- 10.92 fps

Also it told me that my result was better than 81% of all results, don't know if that means much.

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017

I found your timespy result on the 3DMark website, your cpu seems to be under performing. Most scores for that cpu at stock are above 4000 in timespy. I don’t think overclocking will help as your cpu is not performing well at stock turbo. It’s actually running 200mhz below stock turbo.
The cpu is definitely whats holding your system back, along with what is now pretty slow RAM at 1300mhz.
You already have the best cpu you can put in your motherboard, so there is no upgrade path other than starting with a new cpu and montherboard. Also RAM if you choose a modern socket that supports ddr4 RAM.
You could try to find a new 3770k and get some faster ddr3, but I think that would be a waste of money.

akm360

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Does this mean my PSU is not affecting graphic card performance? I thought a 1080ti could handle 4k at 60FPS with ease, but i'm not even getting the full 60 FPS in the tests.

Also what processor and MOBO would you recommend? I would like to keep using them for at least 5 years. I assume I'll have to pay almost twice the price for those parts as well so I'd like the cheapest one that wouldn't bottleneck me anymore.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

1- no single card can handle 4k 60 fps with decent settings, reduce settings to medium then tweak the game by slowly increasing settings while maintaining decent fps

2- at 4k it is pointless to upgrade your mobo/cpu right now, you are gpu bound - the gpu is the fps limiter at 4k -

3- your cpu scores seem a bit low, so what i would do is to make sure it is not temp throttling

use something like msi afterburner and monitor cpu temp/core speed and make sure the cpu cooler is keeping up

you want to make sure temps stay under ~70 degrees while under load - while gaming, running benchmark etc etc -

if your cpu is getting into 90+ degrees then it is slowing itself to prevent thermal death

Solution