Looking for new cooler or another option to reduce temperature of 4790k

Fir33

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
For now i have
ASUS Maximus Vii GENE (microATX)
Zalman performa CNPS10 + (72 C 100 % RPM )
RAM 16 gb 2400 high profile
1060 3gb g1 GPU ( i know GPU isn't good and it might bottleneck my system but when i get higher numbers on CPU im getting more FPS . Im planning to replace it on 1080 or 1080 Ti)
The goal is to get 4700 on mu CPU or maybe even 4800 .
Im completely newbie in overclocking but when i hit 4600 using Dual Intelligent Processors 5 my CPU temp is hitting 75 - 78 in teamfight (playing Overwatch and want to get 240 hz monitor soon and stay on the same MOBA. ) . With open case my temp is fine - near 72 c highest .
I have one Noctua NF-P12 PWM intake fan in front of chassis and one Noctua NF-P12 PWM exhaust fan on top .

I really don't like to build water cooling system especially using Corsair H100 , 105 , 110 i v2 , etc because the amount of bad feedbacks are high but in the end of the day i might change my mind .

I can barely add one more cooler to heatsink because of high profile RAM.
Maybe i can install NH-C14S but will i get better temps with this cooler ?

What about adding 2 more coolers to get better airflow in chassis ?

Maybe i need to change my chassis (520*208*555 mm) full tower

Solution
Case outside measurements don't help much as it's how the interior is setup that determines the CPU cooler clearance. I'd guess you'd be ok but there's no way to be sure from outside measurements.

As for moving your GPU to the second slot, that shouldn't be a problem. The MAXIMUS VII GENE PCIe 16x slots run 16x in either one if a single card is in use, or 8x for SLI. So you shouldn't have a problem speed wise. As for blocking slots, yeah that's not something you can get around.

As for your RAM, it's 41mm. The NH-D15 heatsink allows for 64mm of clearance, so the heatsink isn't a problem. The problem is the fan on the outside of the heatsink. At default height, it has a clearance of 32mm. Since this is going to overhang the entirety...
Like you've already mentioned, your RAM is going to be a big limiting factor here. Another factor is going to be your case, as it's CPU clearance or radiator locations will determine what can get put in. So without that I can't say exactly what can get put in.

For air cooling, I'd look to some coolers that don't have much in the way of RAM clearance issues. The Cryorig line has some good universals, like the H5 Universal and R1 Universal. The H5 Universal would be a good cooler for moderate OCing, the R1 Universal may be the best choice for an air cooler if you want to try and go more on the heavy side.

As for water AIOs, as far as I know the Nzxt line of coolers have a pretty solid reputation and performance. The X61/x62 lineup could meet what you're tying to do.

Fir33

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Another thing i just noticed
When i tune my CPU to 4.6 using Dual Intelligent Processors 5 i got 3.5 voltage !
From what i've seen people are using 1.3 until 4.7.
I will reply later with some tests on lower voltage .

Fir33

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Thanks buth i have diffirent cpu
Will try to find info about 4790k
Will i get an improvement if i will add one more cooler to heatsink ?

If you're using an i7-4790k, you're using a Haswell CPU. You're just using the Devils Canyon refresh of the Haswell CPU line, which is why I linked that specific article. It's the same model I have.

As for the site you linked, thats for a NH-D15. That cooler usage is very dependent on the height of the RAM you're using and the case you have it all in. If you're only using two memory slots, you might be able to get around the RAM height issue. Because of RAM height, the overall height of the cooler may be more than what's reported on it's spec sheet. It's a great cooler, I have one on my i7-4790K and it does a great job. But it's a huge, heavy, cumbersome cooler. So if you want to use it, make sure you can fit it.

As for adding a fan to the existing cooler, I'm assuming you mean it's this model
http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=38
The cooler does support dual fan, the only hurdle there is if the package came with clips to attach a second fan. Since it doesn't list it's TDP, I cant say if adding a second fan would give you enough cooling, but I doubt it'd hurt.

What case do you have, and what RAM do you have?

Fir33

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Case measurements ((520*208*555) - case isn't problem .
According to this http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp i need to replace my GPU to another PCI-E but i have a question about http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/297689-30-what-difference-express
Already asked but got no answer .

I have MAXIMUS VII GENE with 2 PCI-E
One PCI-E x16
Another PCI-E 8 X2 - if i will use it it will block M.2. and Mini PCI-E
I want to install a bigger cooler but i need to replug it in second slot . Is this slot compatitable with PCI-E x16 GPU (1060 3gb g1)

I have this GPU https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1060G1-GAMIN...

I have this RAM HyperX Predator DDR3 HX324C11PB3K2/16 but i think even such a big ram won't be problem for NH-D15 but i might be wrong :)

Case outside measurements don't help much as it's how the interior is setup that determines the CPU cooler clearance. I'd guess you'd be ok but there's no way to be sure from outside measurements.

As for moving your GPU to the second slot, that shouldn't be a problem. The MAXIMUS VII GENE PCIe 16x slots run 16x in either one if a single card is in use, or 8x for SLI. So you shouldn't have a problem speed wise. As for blocking slots, yeah that's not something you can get around.

As for your RAM, it's 41mm. The NH-D15 heatsink allows for 64mm of clearance, so the heatsink isn't a problem. The problem is the fan on the outside of the heatsink. At default height, it has a clearance of 32mm. Since this is going to overhang the entirety of your RAM slots, your ram is going to come in to contact with it. So you'll need to raise the fan up 9-10mm. This is where your case clearance is incredibly important. By raising the fan up 9-10mm, the cooler is now requiring 174-175mm of clearance.

Provided your case allows for 175mm of clearance and you don't need to make use of any blocked slots/ports on the motherboard, then yes the NH-D15 will fit.

If any of those doesn't work for you, then you need to pick a different cooler.

Solution

Fir33

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
That's really hard to measure .
I bet i can put it without raising but if i will raise a fan the result will be questionable .
I guess i need to take DH15 and make it out and if it won't fit i will bring it back to a shop .
I guess the link to case won't change anything http://www.crown-micro.com/ae-en/catalog/corporate/cbox/cmc-gs777-black/
Didn't find an info about my case and big heatsink .

EDIT :
It wasn't easy but i measured the space between side panel and heatsink in closed case using small stick :)
I have extra 3cm between heatsink and side panel .
My current Performa CNPS 10 + got 151mm height and i got extra 30 mm so i think im good .