Looking For New CPU - Gaming, Streaming, & Video Editing

Jan 1, 2018
I'm considering upgrading my CPU & Motherboard but don't know which CPU would be best for all three. I'm currently looking at AMD's Ryzen 7 2700X and Intel i7 8700 and i7 9700K.

I'm also thinking of getting a RTX 2070 for 1080p gaming at 144+ FPS. Any help would be good. But mostly the CPU for now. Cost isn't an issue. Thanks in advance~

Games I want to reach 144+ FPS are Overwatch, Rainbow Six Siege, & Fortnite. Any other game such as Resident Evil 7, The Witcher 3, ect, can be 60 FPS.

Intel i7 7700K

Corsair LPX 16GB 2400Mhz

RX 480 8GB

Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC240E

Cooler Master V750-650W

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5

LG 24GM79G-B 1080p 144Hz

If you delete the streaming requirement (certainly the 4c/8t 7700K struggles here), and simply upgrade your GPU, you might then be content thru October-Dec timeframe, by which then you could feasibly contemplate how well Ryzen 3000 series is doing, in addition to new Navi GPUs from AMD....and feasibly Intel's 10 nm entries if patient until Christmas season...

But of the CPUs you listed, I'd suspect the 9700K will give the highest average frame rates now, especially if 144 Hz gaming is a goal...(if AMD's Ryzen 3500X-3700X releases in May-June as many predict/hope, this could change!)

The best cpu above for strictly gaming is the 9700k because of its high clock speeds, 8 cores, and 8 threads. It would see a bump in performance over your 7700k because of the 8 cores rather than 4 ht, but for some games such as pub g that aren't optimized for many threads, the improvement margins are small. Your 7700k and 9700k both are based on similar architectures, both have 8 threads, and when the 7700 is overclocked the clocks are similar. The 9700k is ok for streaming and editing but it has the least threads of any of the listed CPUs, which makes it last in these 2 categories.

The AMD Ryzen 7 2700x is the best all-rounder winning in 2 of the 3 categories, and coming close in the 3rd. The ryzen 7 2700x is the best streaming cpu of the 3 above, because the 2700x is the only cpu that offers 16 threads allowing the workload of streaming and gaming to be divided to 8 threads each. See this video on the 1800x for an explanation of why AMD's ryzen 7 CPUs are best for streaming:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jludqTnPpnU The 2700x is good for gaming while not streaming, but Intel wins there by a fair margin due to higher IPC and clocks and since current games don't utilize the cores to the fullest. The 2700x is by far the best for editing due to the 16 threads dividing the work up. Best 2 of 3, not bad.

The I7 8700k offers 6 cores and 12 threads, as well as high clocks. The 8700k is middle of the pack in all categories, making it well rounded. Its 12 threads make it perform middle of the road for streaming and editing, giving a boost over the 9700k but still behind the 2700x. The 8700k is very good for gaming, but its clocks are slightly behind the 9700k. For games optimized for more than 8 threads, the 8700k is better than the 9700k and about = with the 2700x. It is better than the 2700x and behind the 9700k for games that dont use more than 8 threads.

In conclusion, the I7 9700k is the best for gaming but last for the other 2 categories so id put it last. The 8700k is middle of the pack for all categories and a very well rounded cpu so it comes 2nd or 1st depending on how important streaming and editing are. The R7 2700x is best for streaming while gaming and editing, but last for gaming without streaming. The 2700x offers a good platform price, included RGB beefy cooler, and a better upgrade path than any of the above CPUs. Because of this, I crown it the winner.

All of the listed CPUs will work and be capable of your needs, so feel free to use my info above and draw your own conclusions. Also, the 2070 is a good GPU, capable of fulfilling your needs, so i would recommend it.

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
I personally have an I7-7700k, and a gtx 1070, I run MOST games at 165fps on my 1440p @165hz just fine. But while streaming, cpu struggles, so if you are looking for a good streaming chip, that’s not it.

The i7-8700k is a much better option for streaming/gaming with its 6 core 12 thread chip, but best chip for now that can get you best gaming/streaming performance is the 9700k. If I had to make a choice I would save up the extra 150$ and go straight for a 9900k, because if you are streaming/encoding for YouTube you will want those extra cores.

The AMD chip is a very good one for the pricing point, it will be naturally good at streaming/encoding off the bat, but will give you less overall FPS in games.

I think the 9700ks lack of hyperthreading makes it less appealing than the 8700k. It also needs a more expensive z390 mobo. The 9700k may be even worse at streaming since it has fewer threads but it will game better than the 8700k. The 9900k is the best cpu for what you need, but of the 3 i would narrow it down to the 8700k or 2700x. Keep in mind if you buy a 2700x you would be able to upgrade to the 3rd gen ryzen with a bios update. The 3rd gen ryzen cpus have already been demoed being faster than all of the above and even the 9900k in cinebench while using less power.

It would probably be better to perform the graphics card upgrade first, and see how your processor handles it before deciding whether to upgrade it or not. Outside of streaming, I doubt you would notice much benefit to gaming performance from a processor/motherboard upgrade, especially if your 7700K is overclocked. And even with streaming, using a GPU-based encodor like the improved NVENC found in the 20-series might perform reasonably well with that processor.

An RTX 2070 can push around double the frame rates of an RX 480, but the per-core performance of the new i7s is only marginally faster than a 7700K, and the 2700X would fall a little behind. The increase in core counts could certainly help if using a CPU-based encoder for streaming, but most games on their own don't benefit much from having additional cores at this time.

So, I would prioritize upgrading the graphics card if you're interested in increasing frame rates, since that should make a much larger difference in most games, and see how performance is when using a GPU based encoder for streaming, and then decide whether you want to spend more to upgrade to a processor with more cores. It might be worth sticking with that at least until the 7 / 10nm CPUs start coming out.

Edit: And now I notice this was from a month ago. There's a bunch of 20-day old posts on the main page of the site. >_>

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
If cost isn't an issue, I'd just get what the best gamer/streamers out there are using (at 1080). Check out people like Shroud and Dizzy on Twitch.
Most of the stuff they use or at the top of Tom's lists would be my goal. 9900K, RTX 2070 or 2080 Ti, Asus ROG motherboard, etc.
Again because the cost isn't an issue so just cut to the chase and get the best/fastest.