[SOLVED] Looking for new GPU, probably something in the mid-range (looking at the GeForce GTX 1660 Super).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2020
Hi and thank you for reading!

My graphics card died last night (rip) and some friends suggested I poke around here for advice, so here I am asking for help as I'm basically clueless on my own.

My mother board and processor are: ASRock z97 extreme4 and I5 4670k (not overclocked).
My dead graphics card was a GeForce GTX 770.

I've read the sticky thread guide and I think I want be around the mid-range. Before showing up here I read elsewhere that the GeForce GTX 1660 Super is really good for its price and I was also looking at the AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT and AMD Radeon RX 5700 (this one I guess is higher range but I might be willing to pay a bit more f I were sure it was worth it for me).
As I said I'm fairly clueless so I'd like some help figuring out what my best options are.

I've already been told that the graphics cards I'm looking at would be bottlenecked by my processor but I think I'll also be upgrading it withing the next year (though I haven't looked anything up yet), so that wouldn't be a problem for long.

Not sure if this is super useful but I'll add it anyway just in case. I currently have two monitors, though for gaming purposes I only use one: an ASUS VG248QE. The other one is a semi-useless piece of junk I had lying around that I basically only use as extra space for studying.

Again, thanks for reading and I hope I've been precise enough; if not I'll do my best to add any useful information I might have skipped.

Solution
Right, it's a Super Flower SF-650P14 X E. I usually use reccomended settings so I'm not entirely sure but my monitor is 1920x1080.

EDIT: I forgot to add that all my parts are 5-6 years old.
Okay your monitor is 1080p@144hz. The gtx 1660 super is good. It's a really solid choice for 1080p gaming and yes your cpu will be the bottleneck with most gpus today but since you said that you'll be upgrading soon so i'd suggest getting at least rtx 2060 to push those fps into the 144hz zone. The rx 5600 xt is the same with rtx 2060 with some games favoring the 5600 and some games the 2060. The 5700 is about the 2060 super level. If you want to try out dlss and ray tracing, then you can try out the rtx 2060 or 2060 super. If you do not...
Oct 10, 2020
Right, it's a Super Flower SF-650P14 X E. I usually use reccomended settings so I'm not entirely sure but my monitor is 1920x1080.

poorbugger

Distinguished

Okay your monitor is 1080p@144hz. The gtx 1660 super is good. It's a really solid choice for 1080p gaming and yes your cpu will be the bottleneck with most gpus today but since you said that you'll be upgrading soon so i'd suggest getting at least rtx 2060 to push those fps into the 144hz zone. The rx 5600 xt is the same with rtx 2060 with some games favoring the 5600 and some games the 2060. The 5700 is about the 2060 super level. If you want to try out dlss and ray tracing, then you can try out the rtx 2060 or 2060 super. If you do not mind having those features, you can go with the rx 5600 xt or 5700. The 5700 would be better with more vram and faster. It can be flashed to a 5700 xt bios but that's a topic for another day if you do decide to get one. Now the downside with amd gpus is that the drivers are not as polished as nvidia's drivers. So if you dont want to fuss about it, then get the rtx 2060 or 2060 super. Personally, i would get a 2060 super because of the prices reduction now. That's for current gen. Amd and nvidia gpus are coming out soon late this year. So if you dont mind waiting and using the igpu in your cpu for display, then it's better to wait and see what do they have to offer. Oh yeah i forgot to mention that it'd be best if you upgrade your psu as well.
You can refer to the list here and find the one that suits your needs and budget. I would get corsair psus because I'm using one so i can vouch for it from experience. Seasonic makes good psus as well. If budget isnt an issue, you can go for the rm650x.

Solution

Winterson

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014
Be aware that the gtx 1660 takes up two slots on the motherboard. Better than the RTX boards that take up 3 slots with their 2.5 slot width but still something to consider.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Generally, the RX 5600 XT performs slightly better than the RTX 2060, but costs less and consumes slightly less power. Unless there's some kind of crazy deal pops up where you can get an RTX 2060 for less than the RX 5600 XT, I couldn't possibly recommend the 2060. I'm not seeing any such deal either via PCPartPicker or directly checking on NewEgg.

The RTX 2060 Super performs better than both of them, but costs a LOT more (again, checking PCPartPicker and NewEgg).

As things stand now, go with the RX 5600 XT.

Your monitor bothers me slightly, since it has neither GSync nor FreeSync. You'd be setting a refresh rate, and there's no adaptive refresh going on.

I suppose the big question is: What's your performance goal? Are you looking for the highest FPS possible, and will turn down details to get it? Happy with 60fps on high details? Somewhere between those two extremes.

Also, which games are we talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.