Looking for new Modem - Is there a reason to go above 16x4

Dlepi

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Can't remember the exact package I pay for with Comcast, but I believe it's ~100 Mbps. Definitely not above 150. I assume an 8x4 will be enough as is, but for $10 more I can get the 16x4 and figured it would be worth it for future proofing just in case speeds increase that much over the next few years. Being with Comcast, they have their list of approved Docsis 3 modems, and the one I'm looking at is here. Just wanting to double check that this Modem will suffice before I order it. Recently purchased a Netgear R7500 router and forgot that our recent Comcast change got rid of the modem and swapped to a router/modem combo. Currently, have it set up in bridge mode, but I'd like to get rid of it and stop paying the rental fee and have my own equipment anyways. Thanks!

First step is to carefully look at what they support. They sometime will not support all modems on all plans...you would think they would support the better modem on the low range plans but they do not always. This can vary from city to city.

It also depends if they can tempt you into their new gigabit plans. Most cable providers are rolling out docsis 3.1 to get the gigabit speeds. Comcast said gigabit is avaialble in like 80% of their markets and that was early this year.

If you want to "future proof" your purchase buy a docsis 3.1 device just be sure they support it on the slower speed plans.

Dlepi

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Thanks for the information, guys. It's appreciated. I went ahead and grabbed the 16x4 for $60. I double checked if they supported it and they cleared it. Even if they do increase the speeds, I think the modem will be future proof enough for me. 120 Mbps will be enough for me, let alone the amount the 16x4 will support if speeds are increased.