[SOLVED] Looking for new over-ear headphones

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hi all

I am currently looking for some comfortable over the ear headphones for listening to school videos/music. There seem to be a lot of options out there and I know little about audio quality and such. Do you guys have any suggestions or favorite headphones?

And for pricing, I would like to keep it bellow $150.00 CAD if possible.

I was looking at these guys https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...SIADDZ8AW4866-_-2&Description=bose+headphones

Any suggestions would be great!

Solution
In that price range this is what I've found:

Sennheiser HD 569 - $130 - Closed Back

Sennheiser HD 559 - $130 - the difference compared to the 569 is that they're open back headphones so they'll leak sound(you won't be able to wear them in public unless you want everyone to hear what you're listening to). Open back headphones usually have a bigger soundstage, but their low frequency response in the sub bass region will be rolled off quite drastically under 50 Hz compared to a more linear response on the closed back ones

Audio-Technica ATH-M40X - $150 - these are less comfortable than the above 2, also they're a brighter headphone(high frequencies are more emphasised compared to the sennheiser headphones).

If...

Sennheiser HD 559 - $130 - the difference compared to the 569 is that they're open back headphones so they'll leak sound(you won't be able to wear them in public unless you want everyone to hear what you're listening to). Open back headphones usually have a bigger soundstage, but their low frequency response in the sub bass region will be rolled off quite drastically under 50 Hz compared to a more linear response on the closed back ones

Audio-Technica ATH-M40X - $150 - these are less comfortable than the above 2, also they're a brighter headphone(high frequencies are more emphasised compared to the sennheiser headphones).

If you want something warm sounding and more relaxed sennheiser would be the way to go, but if you like something more focused, analytical with a smaller soundstage you should go for the M40x(though they are not the most comfortable headphone for long listening sessions). All of these can be driven by anything basically(phone, integrated audio, etc.).

Last edited:
Solution

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019

If you want something warm sounding and more relaxed sennheiser would be the way to go, but if you like something more focused, analytical with a smaller soundstage you should go for the M40x(though they are not the most comfortable headphone for long listening sessions). All of these can be driven by anything basically(phone, integrated audio, etc.).

Thanks for the suggestions! Seems like Sennheiser is a popular headphone brand. The Sennheiser HD 569 marks all the boxes for what I am looking for. The 559's wouldn't be bad but I don't really want sound leakage. And for the audio-technica ATH-M40X's, I will be wearing them for long periods of time, so them being comfortable is needed. And so that leaves me with the 569's. They are on sale right now on Amazon, for 32% off. May have to grab them while they are hot. :)

Thanks for your help!

Have a good day.

Mar 31, 2019
I would rather go for over ear headphones, than the normal earbuds. Earbuds kinda hurt when you wear them.

Do you have certain needs?

If you are looking for studio quality headphones and you have a good enough budget in mind, I would highly recommend Shure's SRH1540, that can cost up to $499, but it's pretty much worth the price

However, if you have a smaller budget, you can start with Sennheiser HD280PRO.

They cost way less, close to just $100, and if you have really basic needs, they should get the job done.