Looking for New Video Card - Help Please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That RAM will work fine. In fact, it might even work with the RAM you already have to provide you with 1.5GB total. If not, at least you'll have 1GB of reasonably good stuff and can use the old stuff in another system.

frel-dar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I would like to thank everyone for your help. I have ordered both the X850 XT a gig of ram. One question - my power supply is 350Watt...am I in any danger of some other problems creeping up...<sigh>

frel-dar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Instability, maybe a fire, nothing you can't handle.

heh...um...fire? Well, I'm going to go check my power supply now. Supposing it's a junk 350 - what type of 400/450 powersupply should I purchase (spending the least money as possible).

Also, an even more Noob question:
What troubles can I expect when I install it? I've never done this type of thing before. (I can do the basics - remove the old drivers, Reg entries, etc) - should I expect anything unsual/troublesome while installing the card itself (cables, screws, etc)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortron Source/Sparkle Power (same company owns both brands) makes good inexpensive power supplies. These are rated at 70% peak load, so a 400W unit should be enough unless you can find something around 450W for a small price increase.

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

If cost isn't a major factor, then try a 6800 GT or X800 XL (AGP version). Make sure your agp port is a 4x and/ or 8x. Both cards are not too expensive due to the arrival of the much newer cards.

frel-dar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Fortron Source/Sparkle Power (same company owns both brands) makes good inexpensive power supplies. These are rated at 70% peak load, so a 400W unit should be enough unless you can find something around 450W for a small price increase.

I currently have a Turbolink LC-A350ATX 12V power supply...thoughts?

frel-dar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I haven't heard too many complaints, I'd think it would be good for at least 200W continuous power and probably not too much fluxuation so long as your local power grid is "clean".

Thanks. What exactly do you mean by "clean"?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, I can't tell you whether your power supply will work OK or not. I don't have enough information.

I'll tell you what: A 500W PowMax might not work with that system, but a 300W Fortron Source probably would. It's all about the quality, choppy voltage is a no-no.

frel-dar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
How difficult would it be to install an new power supply? Also, what should I be looking for (beside wattage)? Any more suggestoins - I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First thing is, I've never heard of your power supply damaging anything from being overloaded. So I'd try it. If the system isn't stable, I'd try something else. Guys in here will give you a list of trusted brands, or you can read a bunch of reviews.

frel-dar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Thanks! Once again, this site has been most helpful and Crashman, and everyone else has been very informative. My thanks to everyone! I'll post my results once everything is installed.

frel-dar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I should have my new graphics card tomorrow sometime. Any tips for instalation? I've never installed a new card before - anything to be weary of or watch for?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd download Catalyst 5.11 and unzip it first (it comes in an exe which is actually a self-extracting zip file). Pop in the card and instal the new drivers.

Cat 5.12 isn't better than 5.11.

seaMusnet

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
HOLYshit..wif dat much info provided,everyones gonna select the very best card for u.
for me...i would choose the ATi x1600 (pro or xt) from gecube *(AGP version)
coz its not too expensive n u get the latest features like SM3 n HDR from ATi

if ur opting for nVidia...i'd say a geforce 6600gt or 6800gs would be nice.. :)

frel-dar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Thanks, Crashman. I'm all set on the software side of things. I'm more concerned about the actual hardware instalation - any tips for removing and putting in the new board? This is what I have never done before. Is it fairly straight forward?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, cut the power first. Then take the screw out. Look for a hook/latch near the other end of the slot, and disengage it if needed. Slide the old cards out.

Er, I can't remember what to do after that...