looking for opinions on buying an older XPS laptop

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
hello! i bought a alienware m17 gamer this past christmas to do video editing, but as good of a gamer as it is, you know how it eats thru a battery in less than 2 hours. i need something that has some spunk to work on premiere pro videos and always wanted a XPS, but i also need a good long battery life between charges too, especially the way working with videos drain things. i also don't want to spend the $$ for a new one. i was hoping the XPS has been good enough over the years that I could find one 2-3 years old and maybe upgrade the HDD to a SSD and be on my way.

i might also be missing a very good choice aside from an XPS out of sheer ignorance, so if you were looking to spend $800+ on a laptop (before any upgrades), what models would you be looking to buy?

again THANK YOU for the knowledge!
berbes

uh oh, i just saw this form to ask the same q:

1. What is your budget? $800+

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? at least 15", unless it really affects the $$$, then 14"

3. What screen resolution do you want? The bigger the better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? At least 4-5 hours, 8 would be great.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I edit videos on Premiere Pro.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.). PPro, VLC Media, Word, etc. everything open at once.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500gb minimum.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. None, just need recommendations

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? For the next 5 years at least.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. THANKS!

Last edited:
With a high usage CPU task on battery no laptop will last for very long. Plus you are buying a used system, with a used more worn out battery which also drops battery life. If I was buying a laptop for portable use with video editing I would run it on wall power and when not available not expect much from it. To get a system with good battery use means you will have a lower wattage and weaker CPU in it. You will not find a laptop that will be encoding video that will run for hours.