[SOLVED] Looking for opinions on Ryzen 5 2600 upgrade

Casey Koss

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
I've picked these out on Amazon....
https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3IGKS3P3KDGB8?ref_=wl_share
right now I am just shopping around but my PC is about 10 years old and I really need to upgrade.
Currently I have a Gigabyte GA-970a-D3 with an FX4100, 8gb Corsair vengeance ram, Radeon HD 7950, WD 1tb hard drive and a 110gb SanDisk SSD, with a corsair tx650 power supply, in a Cooler Master HAF 922.
I don't have much of a budget so right now I'm just looking at the bare minimum I would need to upgrade to get better gaming performance, so I plan to reuse everything but mobo, cpu, and ram.
the power supply and graphics card are about 8 years old at this point. the system should work with my power budget.
basically I'm looking for feedback on if these are good picks or if I can get more bang for my buck with other components. I do not plan on overclocking. I know a bit about computers and what I'm doing but I am by no means an expert.
also, would my current CPU liquid cooler work on the new Ryzen or should I just use the stock fan that comes with it?

Solution
As a B450-F/Ryzen 2600 owner I'd get a different motherboard especially if your not overclocking. The ASRock B450M A/C is a excellent board for the price and has wifi/bt unlike the B450-F, if it was a option when I built my system I'd take that easily over the B450-F.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $209.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-06 13:35 EST-0500

The memory is fine.

The stock AMD cooler works fine but can get a bit audible on heavy loads but should keep the CPU within safe...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
8 years is a good deal of operating time on the same psu... is it a good one? It won't blow up and take anything else out with it when it finally kicks the bucket?
People tend to neglect the psu because it's not very 'exciting' compared to everything else, but it is the most important part of a PC build.

I don't have any issue with the components you picked out though.
What is the AIO? How old is it? Those pumps don't last an eternity, and when it goes, you have to replace the entire thing.

If you can clarify on the psu and cpu cooler - your upgrade is looking to be more expensive than you originally planned for.

WildCard999

Titan
As a B450-F/Ryzen 2600 owner I'd get a different motherboard especially if your not overclocking. The ASRock B450M A/C is a excellent board for the price and has wifi/bt unlike the B450-F, if it was a option when I built my system I'd take that easily over the B450-F.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $209.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-06 13:35 EST-0500

The memory is fine.

The stock AMD cooler works fine but can get a bit audible on heavy loads but should keep the CPU within safe limits unless you have a high room temp.

Solution

Casey Koss

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
What is the AIO? How old is it? Those pumps don't last an eternity, and when it goes, you have to replace the entire thing.
it's not stamped on the pump on the CPU, I assume it's a Cooler Master but I can't remember. I got it from CyperPower in like '08-'09. I'd be fine using the included CPU cooler, I've never been super impressed with the liquid cooler, the radiator is inside the tower and it blocks a fan slot on the top. the only plus is that it might be a little quieter than a stock cooler as it's one less fan, but I have a bunch of fans running on it, so that's kind of a moot point.
PSU is a Corsair TX650, 650w 80+ bronze certified, ordered with the 7950 in Oct of 2013.
my bottle neck at the moment is the CPU and ram, if I upgrade those, I should be able to play on same settings with a more stable FPS. I can upgrade the PSU, then the GPU down the road a little.

Casey Koss

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
The stock AMD cooler works fine but can get a bit audible on heavy loads but should keep the CPU within safe limits unless you have a high room temp.
I was really only looking at the ASRock because it was a packaged deal, going with the 450m would only be about $20 cheaper.
would the Micro ATX make it look cramped inside the case or restrict airflow?
my room gets a little warm in the summer. it's on the SW corner of the house and has sun exposure all day. gets upwards of 80*F, I run a window unit AC in the summer, no central air.
edit I don't really have a use for WiFi or BT built in. my modem and router are in the same room so it's hardwired with ethernet. the only thing I could think of for BT is my phone but I just plug it in if I need to transfer something.

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
The price is fine for that 2600/B450-F combo but ASRock BIOS, imho, is a bit easier to navigate as well. If your not going to use the wifi/bt then you can't go wrong with either. As for the size MATX is fine, wouldn't restrict airflow and would perform the same.

With either board though make sure you put the memory in the A2/B2 slots so you can enable XMP or DOCP (DOCP is the Asus version of XMP). This allows the memory to run at the correct speed, voltage and timings.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)I see.
Cyberpower tends to buy other vendor products and re-badges them as their own. And being that it's Cyberpower, it's some cheap 120mm unit as well.
Over time, the pump can become clogged, reducing performance - or it breaks entirely. When either happens, you'll have to replace it, so keep that in mind.

2)That's a good psu.
Even though you're well past the warranty period, you're not really pushing it right now. I would definitely recommend replacing it before the next gpu upgrade, especially if it's something on the level of an RTX 2060 Super.

Reactions: King_V