Looking for opinions on this pc build

Uri Yakir

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Hey! This is my first post here so please be gentle on me. Also, just a heads-up - English is not my native language.
I'm looking into building a not-over-the-head pc for gaming (mainly league of legends) and everyday usage. I also would like to be able to run more demanding games in case I'll get into other games in the future. I have absolutely no experience in building pcs. My budget is around 1250$. I've gotten an offer for building a pc with the following specs:
http://imgur.com/kBbd8qh

I have a few questions:
1) Overall opinion on the build.
2) is the PC balanced (I have no idea what makes one balanced, but I've heard its relevant)
3) What better alternatives are there in the market.
4) The price I was offered was approx. 1074$ (not including 17% tax). Is that a reasonable price? (I do not live in the US, so I cannot order parts online, but the store I went to has them, and offered that price for parts + building it themselves).
5) Is it worth upgrading any of the parts?
6) I've also heard over-clocking was a thing that should come to mind. Will the pc be overclock-able? I also don't quite understand why it is important to overclock if you have a good graphic-card (such as the gtx 1060).

Thanks in advance! Again, I have no knowledge in pc-parts or building a pc in general, so please as descriptive as needed/possible.

Solution
Swap out that psu for higher quality one from: Seasonic, antec, evga or xfx.
It's pretty well balanced and good build though the cpu is not overclockable.
if you want to consider overclocking then swap the cpu for an i5 7600k and Motherboard for some z270 board, better cpu cooler is also a good thing to have when overclocking (something like arctic liquid freezer 120).
Swap out that psu for higher quality one from: Seasonic, antec, evga or xfx.
It's pretty well balanced and good build though the cpu is not overclockable.
if you want to consider overclocking then swap the cpu for an i5 7600k and Motherboard for some z270 board, better cpu cooler is also a good thing to have when overclocking (something like arctic liquid freezer 120).

Solution

Uri Yakir

Reputable
May 23, 2015

Thanks A lot for the reply! Is overclocking a necessity when it comes to gaming? How often do people actually go for overclocking? Shouldn't the graphic card be able to handle pretty demanding games without overclocking the cpu?
I'm asking because I don't want to overshoot my gaming needs and pay for it with my hard-earned money.
Oh, and one last thing. Upgrading the PC after building it is always an option right? I can always open up the case and switch a cpu...

Overclocking isn't necessary to get good gaming performance on a cpu as fast as an i5. if you want to save some money you should wait for AMDs ryzen 5, it should be launched in few weeks and will likely offer performance similar to an i5 but at a lower price. Get a b350 or x370 motherboard with a Ryzen chip if you go for it. Many enthusiasts end up overclocking their cpus right from the point they get them while more casual gamers overclock their cpu later on when it starts bottlenecking in newer games.
All Ryzen chips can be overclocked and x370 + b350 mobos can be used to overclock them.

Uri Yakir

Reputable
May 23, 2015

I've read online that intel out-preforms AMD when it comes to gaming, because intel has a better single core performance, whereas AMD is better if one would like to stream etc. I think I would stick to the i5-7500, since it makes it so I don't have to upgrade my motherboard (saving me some money). Why did you mention that I should consider upgrading the PSU? Do you think it wouldn't support the build?

Uri Yakir

Reputable
May 23, 2015

Sorry, I meant PSU... you suggested I might need a better one. I updated the comment but you must've missed it. SORRY!

Yeah i missed it, and i think you should upgrade the psu because the psus i mentioned simply are better quality.
Not that FSP would be bad but there simply are better options for around the same cost.

Uri Yakir

Reputable
May 23, 2015

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how does a better-quality PSU affect performance?

It doesn't affect performance. But it does affect reliability and power efficiency.
Good psu will also last longer than lower quality one.
I once came across problem where an old 850w lepa psu failed to power a system with a 500w (at best) power draw.