looking for pc guts

I'm interested in obtaining the following in a grouped bundle from an
online vendor:
===========
motherboard
cpu
memory
power supply.
===========
the idea here being that I can use my existing case and other items to
complete the package.
If anyone has any suggestions, please e-mail me at:
dicksilk
at
mtsu
dot
edu
(spelled out in an attempt to filter out spam harvesters)

Thanks!
--
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk for rates
http://dicksilk.chatango.com for live chat

if your existing case is a dell case, think again.
you may want to add video card to your list as new motherboard have
pciexpress video card slots and older ones had agp video card slots...
sound/network/modem may also be desirable... or if you wanted all that
integrated in the motherboard you must say so to get it... and don't forget
the hard disk.
it is cheaper to buy a new machine from any of the major vendors than it is
to build your own.

"Dick Silk - The Computer Tutor" <dicksilk@antispam.gov> wrote in message
> I'm interested in obtaining the following in a grouped bundle from an
> online vendor:
> ===========
> motherboard
> cpu
> memory
> power supply.
> ===========
> the idea here being that I can use my existing case and other items to
> complete the package.
> If anyone has any suggestions, please e-mail me at:
> dicksilk
> at
> mtsu
> dot
> edu
> (spelled out in an attempt to filter out spam harvesters)
>
> Thanks!
> --
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk for rates
> http://dicksilk.chatango.com for live chat
> --

Al

I had the same idea and looked at that over the course of some weeks. I
eventually abandoned the idea for this reason: what if the cpu, memory, board
or PS that I received was actually faulty? The computer might not even start,
much less POST, and I wouldn't know which component was to blame. Being on my
own, I don't own or have access to alternative components to swap in and out
with, to determine which was the faulty element.

Still, pricewatch.com would be the place to start - and paying attention to
the seller ratings there. Also, more ratings are at resellerratings.com

I'd looked at AMD only, because I remember Big Brother Inside and also because
..

There is alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:00:41 -0600, "Dick Silk - The Computer Tutor"
<dicksilk@antispam.gov> wrote:

>I'm interested in obtaining the following in a grouped bundle from an
>online vendor:
>===========
>motherboard
>cpu
>memory
>power supply.
>===========
>the idea here being that I can use my existing case and other items to
>complete the package.

Al

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:36:42 GMT, none@no.com (Al) wrote:

>I'd looked at AMD only, because I remember Big Brother Inside and also because

you probably get more bang for your buck. For the CPU, I'd go with PIB rather
than OEM so you don't have to worry about whether the heatsink/fan is okay.

Dell case, generic case, or other name brand case? If the case is generic,
fine. If the case is a Dell, add a case to your list. Dell cases range from
extremely difficult to impossible to install a generic motherboards.

Other name brands sometimes make it easy to install a generic board, sometimes
not. About 9 months ago, I installed a nice Asus mATX board in a Compaq
Presario P4 case only needing to change the wires from the motherboard to the
front panel LEDs and push buttons. Because I have scavenged a carton full of
LEDs and push buttons from scrapped computers, it was a cinch to match up the
right parts... Ben Myers

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:00:41 -0600, "Dick Silk - The Computer Tutor"
<dicksilk@antispam.gov> wrote:

>I'm interested in obtaining the following in a grouped bundle from an
>online vendor:
>===========
>motherboard
>cpu
>memory
>power supply.
>===========
>the idea here being that I can use my existing case and other items to
>complete the package.
>If anyone has any suggestions, please e-mail me at:
>dicksilk
>at
>mtsu
>dot
>edu
>(spelled out in an attempt to filter out spam harvesters)
>
>Thanks!
>--
>http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk for rates
>http://dicksilk.chatango.com for live chat
>--

it's not a Dell, but I'm beginning to agree with you on your price
comment: cheaper to buy than to purchase components.

> if your existing case is a dell case, think again.
> you may want to add video card to your list as new motherboard have
> pciexpress video card slots and older ones had agp video card
> slots... sound/network/modem may also be desirable... or if you
> wanted all that integrated in the motherboard you must say so to get
> it... and don't forget the hard disk.
> it is cheaper to buy a new machine from any of the major vendors
> than it is to build your own.
>

> "Dick Silk - The Computer Tutor" <dicksilk@antispam.gov> wrote in
> message news:4215902c$1_3@newspeer2.tds.net...
>> I'm interested in obtaining the following in a grouped bundle from
>> an online vendor:
>> ===========
>> motherboard
>> cpu
>> memory
>> power supply.
>> ===========
>> the idea here being that I can use my existing case and other items
>> to complete the package.
>> If anyone has any suggestions, please e-mail me at:
>> dicksilk
>> at
>> mtsu
>> dot
>> edu
>> (spelled out in an attempt to filter out spam harvesters)
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk for rates
>> http://dicksilk.chatango.com for live chat
>> --

Generic case, apparently, tower style, with a hint of the older Dell
construction techniques: a slide-off panel to access the main guts,
and the motherboard-bottom-side-panel screwed on but also slides off.
Has (or rather, "had") an ATX power supply, on a motherboard using a
686 AMIBIOS chip from '99. Socket 462, but that's moot at the moment.

Here are two shots of the case. It appears to be designed to
accommodate both ATX as well as AT style motherboards.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/files/JK-case/100_0170.JPG
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/files/JK-case/100_0171.JPG

As I said earlier, I'm in the market for: a motherboard with CPU,
power supply, and RAM. Preferably, with integrated sound and video,
but that's not a "must". Thanks for putting the screws to me, Ben. I
can see my first post was simply insufficient.

> Dell case, generic case, or other name brand case? If the case is
> generic,
> fine. If the case is a Dell, add a case to your list. Dell cases
> range from
> extremely difficult to impossible to install a generic motherboards.
>
> Other name brands sometimes make it easy to install a generic board,
> sometimes
> not. About 9 months ago, I installed a nice Asus mATX board in a
> Compaq
> Presario P4 case only needing to change the wires from the
> motherboard to the
> front panel LEDs and push buttons. Because I have scavenged a
> carton full of
> LEDs and push buttons from scrapped computers, it was a cinch to
> match up the
> right parts... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:00:41 -0600, "Dick Silk - The Computer Tutor"
> <dicksilk@antispam.gov> wrote:
>
>>I'm interested in obtaining the following in a grouped bundle from
>>an
>>online vendor:
>>===========
>>motherboard
>>cpu
>>memory
>>power supply.
>>===========
>>the idea here being that I can use my existing case and other items
>>complete the package.
>>If anyone has any suggestions, please e-mail me at:
>>dicksilk
>>at
>>mtsu
>>dot
>>edu
>>(spelled out in an attempt to filter out spam harvesters)
>>
>>Thanks!
>>--
>>http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk for rates
>>http://dicksilk.chatango.com for live chat
>>--

The photos are very dark. Can't tell a darn thing from them.

OK, you want some sort of standard ATX power supply, either original ATX or ATX
with P4-12v connector. What kind of motherboard and CPU?

We'll coerce the facts out you yet. :) ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:10:22 -0600, "Dick Silk - The Computer Tutor"