[SOLVED] Looking for performance upgrade for aging mid-range gaming PC

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
My current PC specs are below and while I'm getting some solid performance out it for gaming I was considering making an upgrade to see if I can get a little bit more out of it. With the current shortage of GPUs out there I was looking more at maybe a new CPU but I'm not really that savvy enough to really understand how much performance gain in gaming I would get if I went ahead and upgraded the CPU. My current specs are

CPU: i5 6600k
GPU: GTX 1070 GAMING X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
MOBO: ASUS Z170 A
PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified

Right now the CPU isn't overclocked and I was wondering if maybe I should look into doing that? Is a CPU upgrade necessary? Would I see a significant improvement if I upgraded that or would it be better for me to hold out and wait for a new GPU? Either way I want to upgrade the GPU when I have a chance but as I said right now I think I should maybe do a CPU upgrade in anticipation for a time when graphic cards aren't so hard to come by.

Solution
Best CPU for your board is: Core i7-7700K (4.2GHz, 4C, HT, L3:8M,Intel HD 600 series , 91W, rev.B0) .

It will be faster and does have hyper-threading ( 4C/8T) in opposite to your CPU ( 4C/4T).

But I am in doubt, if it makes any sense, because modern platforms with at least 4C/8T would be more useful( would need new MB, eventually new PSU, new CPU-cooler), even if you get a 7700k second hand. Further I am in doubt, if your current MB is built well enough for some stronger overclocking.

But:

You did not write anything about the details.

CPU at 100% or GPU in 100%, which games, which resolution , and last but not least, which budget for upgrading.

alexbirdie

Respectable
Best CPU for your board is: Core i7-7700K (4.2GHz, 4C, HT, L3:8M,Intel HD 600 series , 91W, rev.B0) .

It will be faster and does have hyper-threading ( 4C/8T) in opposite to your CPU ( 4C/4T).

But I am in doubt, if it makes any sense, because modern platforms with at least 4C/8T would be more useful( would need new MB, eventually new PSU, new CPU-cooler), even if you get a 7700k second hand. Further I am in doubt, if your current MB is built well enough for some stronger overclocking.

But:

You did not write anything about the details.

CPU at 100% or GPU in 100%, which games, which resolution , and last but not least, which budget for upgrading.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the game.

Plenty of games where a quad core isn't ideal. 7700k would be an improvement since it has hyperthreading, but that isn't as good as a few more cores.

Really comes down to how much you can find a 7700k for. Basically current model i3 are the same performance, i5 of course being 6 cores with hyperthreading, and i7 and up being 8 cores.

Looks about $150 average.

i3-10400F is only $115...
i5-10600KF is only $200.

Of course you would have to add a motherboard to the cost. But you pick yourself out a nice Z590 board, and you can upgrade to a used 11th gen processor sometime after that.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would not spend the money for a 7700K unless you found one cheap and known to be working. Traditional pricing for Intel will put that thing near what you could purchase a 10th/11th gen i5 or a Ryzen 3 or 5 and a motherboard. The RAM you have is totally sufficient for a new build.
Could get into OS license though....

tecmo34

Administrator
If you are running at 1080p, your best route would be to try and OC you CPU, which should give you 5 to 10 FPS depending on your game or look at the other recommendations of new CPU / MOBO combination or i7-7700K . At that resolution, you will always be CPU bound so CPU performance increase will provide the best results.

If you are running 1440p or higher, it is more on the GPU, so you would see less performance increase with a CPU then you would going with a better GPU.

Only problem with 7700K suggestion is 7700K pricing on Amazon at $350 used, $450-$600 new...(which is ridiculous)...

A B550/R5-5600X combo, however, should last another 5 years...
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144396
MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA $139.99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-...ked-desktop-processor/6452218.p?skuId=6452218
Intel Core i5-11400 $189.99

https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Solutions-Phantom-Cooler-Case/dp/B076KYYSRW
Gelid Solutions Phantom CPU Cooler $36.99

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Desktop-Gaming-BL2K8G32C16U4B/dp/B083TRRT16/
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 $87.99

Total: $455

TRENDING THREADS