[SOLVED] looking for possible new GPU to go with Ryzen 7

bertrom

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of up getting a new video card for my desktop. I have an MSI x470 gaming plus MB with a Ryzen 7 2700x 8-core processor, 32 gigs of ddr4 1066 Mhz memory and an geforce GTX 1070 ti video card. The issue is when playing certain games (RDR2 online especially) the video card seems to overheat and shut the system down or the graphics distort. Just started doing this in the past couple weeks. I have used msi afterburner to jack up the GPU fans but the problem persists. Dust is not an issue as I have blown the entire tower clean. I have an exterior fan blowing into the side of the tower and have the side open. Is it possibly a GPU problem? If so, what is a good match for the setup I have. The video card is a couple years old.

Thanks in advance!
Ed

Solution
GPU temps shouldn't exceed around 85C for most GPU's although personally I try to keep them under 80C.

Assuming this is a GPU issue and the budget is $500 this is what I'd recommend.

PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB RAW II Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $504.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-01 19:48 EST-0500

You need fast memory for AMD Ryzen. Some testing I've done has shown almost a 25 FPS difference between 2133 & 3200mhz or little to no FPS dips so it's worth getting a new kit. Use the new...

bertrom

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Sorry,
I run 2560 x 1440. Recommended for the monitor.
I have not really changed any graphic settings in the games. Just run whatever the games setup chooses.

bertrom

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
When I say graphics distort I mean things disappear, certain areas turn invisible like I am walking on air, the system locks up or i get booted to desktop. I can tell when it is starting to go bad when the ground becomes less defined or undefinable and controls stop working. Only fix is to reboot.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
When I say graphics distort I mean things disappear, certain areas turn invisible like I am walking on air, the system locks up or i get booted to desktop. I can tell when it is starting to go bad when the ground becomes less defined or undefinable and controls stop working. Only fix is to reboot.
That sounds like software. Did you update your drivers and then this started happening?

WildCard999

Titan
DDR=Double Data Rate. So the 1066 is 2132 (close enough to 2133). This is far too slow for AMD Ryzen as the difference between that and a 2x8gb kit @3200mhz could be as high as 25 FPS or at the very least little to no dips. While this should be addressed I doubt it's causing these graphical errors or crashes.

Do you have another GPU you can try?

Feb 1, 2020
That is incorrect, no testing has ever shown that using a AMD CPU with a AMD GPU will provide more performance over a AMD CPU with a Nvidia GPU.

I never said performance was worse, but it's buggy and can cause issues.
I always hear about this kind of thing, but I'm not expert. I definitely wouldn't cross the two though. I'd go full AMD or full Nvidia + Intel.

WildCard999

Titan
I never said performance was worse, but it's buggy and can cause issues.
I always hear about this kind of thing, but I'm not expert. I definitely wouldn't cross the two though. I'd go full AMD or full Nvidia + Intel.
I've used various combos over the years without issues and usually if there is any it's usually the GPU's driver with the game optimization, not the CPU. If AMD did make it purposely buggy when used with Intel or Nvidia the fallout would be huge and would hurt them quite a bit. That being said nowadays newer Nvidia GPU's (10XX series or newer) actually support AMD Freesync. Currently using a GTX 1660S with a Freesync monitor and it works flawlessly.

Reactions: throwawayaccnt
Feb 1, 2020
I've used various combos over the years without issues and usually if there is any it's usually the GPU's driver with the game optimization, not the CPU. If AMD did make it purposely buggy when used with Intel or Nvidia the fallout would be huge and would hurt them quite a bit. That being said nowadays newer Nvidia GPU's (10XX series or newer) actually support AMD Freesync. Currently using a GTX 1660S with a Freesync monitor and it works flawlessly.

Fair enough, Idk all of the specs of the people I heard about having constant issues; but compatibility on the newer Nividia GPUS is really good.

I'm on a 1660Ti myself, love it. S is the super right?

Stick w/ an AMD since you're using a Ryzen. Crossing is not optimal.
(Nvidia GPU and then haivng AMD Processor, not the best.)
funny thing is i always had amd CPUs (if i dont count pre pentium4 era) and tons of ati/amd cards had black screen issues or driver resets (my last ati/amd card was 5870...back then ati/amd had really bugged drivers), while with nvidia no issues (lucky me)
GPU itself doesnt care which CPU u got, its just expansion card
that would be same as sayin intel wifi cards will work only on intel systems

bertrom

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Yes
I ran a program called cpu id. Memory is type ddr4 dual channel 1066MHz
Drivers are all up to date.
Would like to stay inthe neighborhood of 500 if possible. I do realize it may not even be a GPU issue. what temps are normal for a gpu when running a game like RDR2 online?

WildCard999

Titan
GPU temps shouldn't exceed around 85C for most GPU's although personally I try to keep them under 80C.

Assuming this is a GPU issue and the budget is $500 this is what I'd recommend.

PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB RAW II Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $504.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-01 19:48 EST-0500

You need fast memory for AMD Ryzen. Some testing I've done has shown almost a 25 FPS difference between 2133 & 3200mhz or little to no FPS dips so it's worth getting a new kit. Use the new kit and sell the old one. Make sure you enable XMP in the motherboard BIOS so that the memory will run at the correct speed, voltage & timings. You also need to make sure the memory is in the correct slots, A2/B2.

EDIT: I would possibly consider doing a clean install of Windows 10, motherboard & GPU drivers and see if the issue persist before buying new parts. If you have any important files be sure to backup those as well. And this needs to be a clean install, not a reset.

Solution

bertrom

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hmm
So if 80C (170F) is considered normal for the 1070ti, should I be looking elswehere to solve this problem? As i have said, drivers are up to date. Could the ram really be the issue?
Again thank you ALL for your responses!