Question Looking for prebuilt - considering Aurora R13

Dec 28, 2021
I'm looking to replace 2 PCs I built 5+ years ago with prebuilds. My budget for each is between 2-3k. Ideally they would be the same builds or very close to it. I'm mainly looking for prebuilds because of GPU prices but also because I don't enjoy the building process and I'm beginning to think I suck at building PCs. I feel like I know enough about building a PC to be dangerous and to screw something up. Also, I'm not interested in waiting around for a lottery or for a hopeful price drop because I've been waiting around for a year+ as it is.

At the moment we were leaning towards the new Aurora R13s but the hate towards Dell / Alienware's past products is strong... I can't tell if people just hate Alienware because of the name and easy internet points, or if the products truly are that bad. Based on reviews of older versions, it seems to me that the R13s have improved on some of their past mistakes. Mainly the cooling for the CPU. I understand the unnecessary amount of plastic likely still encases an old chassis. The R13s even seem to appear in some "2021 best prebuilds" lists. Whether its the R13 or a different prebuild, it needs to look nice. I guess that means it is closer to the LED EdGeLoRd camp compared to a featureless personality devoid black box.

Regardless, here are the Aurora R13 specs we're currently considering. I tried to spec it out as if I would build it myself but I couldn't find a lot of the parts.
Processor:12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 12700KF (12-Core, 25MB Cache, 3.6GHz to 5GHz w/Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6 LHR
Memory: 16GB Dual Channel DDR5 at 4400MHz
Storage: 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Chassis Options: Lunar Light 750W PSU, Liquid-Cooled CPU & Clear Side Panel
Case & Color: Lunar Light

Lastly, I understand many people will recommend just building a PC myself but that isn't the point of this post. If it turns out the Aurora R13 or a different prebuild isn't worth it, I'll consider it then. Thank you.

Reactions: Marplot

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I bought a similar Alienware Aurora R13 - new, January 2022, 3080 TI Graphics, Alien Cooler, 980 pro, Samsung SSD 2TB, Alien Center for the light show, 32MB DDR5 memory, Windows 11 Pro on factory-installed 1TB SSD Intel Alder Lake Core I9 12900HK (12th gen) for $2800 open box.

I am beyond pleased.

I am also surprised by the people who hate Dell. I suspect that most of these people have not even tried Dell.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
My Alienware Auroura r13 was $2800 USD (open box at Micro Center) and 5% discount for using Micro Center credit card. Total about $2650 USD. Not a bad price since how much an Intel Alder Lake 12900HK and a 3080 TI Graphics card would cost alone!

Last edited:

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
In a short cursory look, gamer's nexus complains a lot about everything!

However, I see a lot of good reviews like this one about Alienware R13.
https://www.pcmag.com/lists/top-gam...JjrXeKHYGMISov7oGSjHOui9IoIjwp3xoCjrIQAvD_BwE

And Dell is the third largest computer company in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell

Right now, my Alienware is doing great. Are you telling me that I made a bad deal? Maybe, but so what? My first venture into the computing world since 2012. And IF this turns sour, I have easily the funding to buy another, even better computer without depleting my petty cash. Invest in commercial real estate when young, like I did, and don't sweat the small stuff.

In fact, just don't sweat the small stuff. Haters just make their own lives miserable trying to knock down other people with unasked for opinions.

Also I bought an Xbox Series X and it is also great.

KyaraM

Admirable
$2800 USD (open box at Micro Center) and 5% discount for using Micro Center credit card. Total about $2650 USD. Not a bad price since how much an Intel Alder Lake 12900HK and a 3080 TI Graphics card would cost alone!
You listed a 12700KF and a 3070Ti up there, though. Not a 12900HK (KF?) and a 3080Ti. That's not a good price for those components listed in your initial post, especially this month, you pay for the name here (not surprising, I guess). I got my system around my 12700K and 3070Ti last month for 2300€ with all components chosen myself. That's including assembly since I don't have the time for it anymore with my busy work and weekend commitments. It's cheaper this month.

And from what a friend told me who had an Alienware computer until two years ago. They aren't that great. His was quite loud and gave him loads of trouble. I would only buy it if it was cheaper.

Reactions: jacob249358

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
In a short cursory look, gamer's nexus complains a lot about everything!

However, I see a lot of good reviews like this one about Alienware R13.
https://www.pcmag.com/lists/top-gam...JjrXeKHYGMISov7oGSjHOui9IoIjwp3xoCjrIQAvD_BwE

And Dell is the third largest computer company in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell

Right now, my Alienware is doing great. Are you telling me that I made a bad deal? Maybe, but so what? My first venture into the computing world since 2012. And IF this turns sour, I have easily the funding to buy another, even better computer without depleting my petty cash. Invest in commercial real estate when young, like I did, and don't sweat the small stuff.

In fact, just don't sweat the small stuff. Haters just make their own lives miserable trying to knock down other people with unasked for opinions.

Also I bought an Xbox Series X and it is also great.
Gamers nexus isn't complaining because they like to complain they are complaining because that's what you do when reviewing a product. About the other stuff, totally irrelevant. Not everyone has the money at a young age to invest in real estate so they can buy whatever pc they want.
You have been reported

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
"You have been reported" Someone please let me know if I have done something wrong. I will apologize.

I do question why people have a need to criticize other people and products. How about some input abut things they like?

Don't sweat the small stuff. I sure don't. Enough said.

Last edited:

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
And IF this turns sour, I have easily the funding to buy another, even better computer without depleting my petty cash. Invest in commercial real estate when young, like I did, and don't sweat the small stuff.
This is why I reported you. Why would you expect everyone can just buy real estate at a young age? Not everyone is rich, well off, and put in a nice situation. And the reason why I left the comment about gamers nexus and Alienware is because OP was considering Alienware so I gave them a place where they can get information on it. (something that doesn't need to be said but I guess there's an explanation) And thanks for the meaningless downvotes. I wrote unbiased factual statements.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
Ah, you did mistake my
You listed a 12700KF and a 3070Ti up there, though. Not a 12900HK (KF?) and a 3080Ti. That's not a good price for those components listed in your initial post, especially this month, you pay for the name here (not surprising, I guess). I got my system around my 12700K and 3070Ti last month for 2300€ with all components chosen myself. That's including assembly since I don't have the time for it anymore with my busy work and weekend commitments. It's cheaper this month.

And from what a friend told me who had an Alienware computer until two years ago. They aren't that great. His was quite loud and gave him loads of trouble. I would only buy it if it was cheaper.

You did mistake my post. I bought an Alienware Aurora R13 for USD $2650. Which is $2398.44 Euros. This complete computer for about 98 euros more than your system. This includes the following components:
Alienware Aurora R13. New, January 2022, 3080 TI Graphics, Alien Cooler, 980 pro, Samsung SSD 2TB, Alien Center for light show, 32MB DDR5 memory, Windows 11 Pro on factory-installed 1TB SSD, Intel Alder Lake Core I9 12900HK (12th gen)

I really don't think that a two-year-old computer relates to a new January 2022 Alienware.

I agree that the Alienware Cooler is not enough. 120mm fan on a 120mm cooler with an Intel Alder Lake 12900HK. I do like the case and maybe I could add on a more powerful cooler? Perhaps outside my case? Perhaps The "Asus Rog Ryujin 360 RGB is the top-of-the-line all-in-one liquid cooler that the company has to offer and will work well with the higher-end Intel 12th generation CPUs such as the 12900K."

But right now the "Alien" it is blazing fast and has wonderful lights. More than I need in 4k games.

Last edited:

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Ah, you did mistake my

You did mistake my post. I bought an Alienware Aurora R13 for USD $2650. Which is $2398.44 Euros. This complete computer for about 98 euros more than your system. This includes the following components:
Alienware Aurora R13. New, January 2022, 3080 TI Graphics, Alien Cooler, 980 pro, Samsung SSD 2TB, Alien Center for light show, 32MB DDR5 memory, Windows 11 Pro on factory-installed 1TB SSD, Intel Alder Lake Core I9 12900HK (12th gen)

I really don't think that a two-year-old computer relates to a new January 2022 Alienware.

I agree that the Alienware Cooler is not enough. 120mm fan on a 120mm cooler with an Intel Alder Lake 12900HK. I do like the case and maybe I could add on a more powerful cooler? Perhaps outside my case? Perhaps The "Asus Rog Ryujin 360 RGB is the top-of-the-line all-in-one liquid cooler that the company has to offer and will work well with the higher-end Intel 12th generation CPUs such as the 12900K."

But right now the "Alien" it is blazing fast and has wonderful lights. More than I need in 4k games.
you know the 12900hk is a laptop CPU?