Looking for programming laptop (sometimes gaming)

Nov 11, 2022
1. What is your budget?
about 2800€

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15,6'' or 16''

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Any
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Any
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Rarery/ light gaming: Witcher 3

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Above all, I want to programming on it, day and night. And: general purpose (yt,video lessons etc), rarery: gaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Any
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
For now I consider:
https://www.x-kom.pl/p/1055198-note...r9-6900hs-32gb-1tb-win11-rtx3070ti-165hz.html
https://www.x-kom.pl/p/710518-noteb...5-pro-i7-11800h-16gb-1tb-win10p-rtxa3000.html

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'll prefer:
Dell
Asus
Lenovo
I don't like:
HP (unreliable)

13. What country do you live in?
Poland
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I also work at night so it would be good for the laptop to be quiet for demanding tasks, and and weigh a maximum of 2.3 kg

D

Deleted member 14196

Gaming laptops and quiet are mutually exclusive. Gaming laptops are extremely loud and extremely inefficient at games. They often overheat for heavy gaming.

any laptop will do for programming. Basically just get a decent CPU and ram and ssd

Nov 11, 2022
How about:
ASUS ROG Flow X16 R9-6900HS/32GB/1TB/Win11 RTX3070Ti 165Hz
According to tests, it is quiet and this is a gaming laptop. Will it be suitable?

How about:
ASUS ROG Flow X16 R9-6900HS/32GB/1TB/Win11 RTX3070Ti 165Hz
According to tests, it is quiet and this is a gaming laptop. Will it be suitable?

In my opinion based on the specifications the ASUS ROG Flow X16 would be acceptable as both a portable gaming machine and would make an acceptable laptop for software development and related tasks.

As a software developer I look for the following characteristics:

Intel H series or AMD H series CPU's
A bare minimum of 16GB of RAM, user upgradable to a minimum of 32GB.
Integrated Graphics is usually good enough for most software development tasks, but there are some development tasks that do benefit from discrete graphics card capabilities

Mid-range or better Webcam with physical shutter. When you do need to have video meetings its nice if you're image quality is up to par. I prefer a physical webcam shutter because they are inherently safer then any software solution, easy to use and simple to verify that you are not being watched.

A minimum of 16:9, Full HD display that is bright enough to use outside on a sunny day.
I prefer a more premium display and with your budget this should be an area you focus on. A 16:10 display 2560x1600 or higher resolution display with accurate color reproduction and 400+ nits of brightness will make life better. Refresh rate is subjective, some people swear by a faster display. I personally have used 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz and 165Hz monitors and laptop displays, and they have made no difference to me. If I had to choose between high refresh or a brighter display I would go for brightness.

Storage space at a minimum 512GB NVMe drive, Visual Studio.NET and other high quality IDE's takes up a huge amount of storage space so buy the largest storage device you can afford and try to find a device that supports user replaceable storage. My laptop for instance allows for the addition of a second 2.5" x 7mm SSD or a 2080 NVMe drive. My primary NVMe drive is a Samsung 2042 NVMe 512GB unit that is also user replaceable.

Since you want a portable device battery life is going to be critical. Do your research, a lot of laptops with H series CPUs, high end displays and discrete graphics have smallish batteries compared to the amount of power they consume. 4 hours of battery life is probably not good enough for your needs as a developer wanting a portable laptop. No matter what laptop you get you will need to adjust the power profiles significantly for when you are on battery vs. plugged into AC power.

- TL;DR -

The laptop you mentioned the ASUS ROG Flow X16 has one flaw. The keyboard while premium is ten-keyless and does not have a nub for mouse movement. While fine for gaming, this is not ideal for software development. Other then that it has everything I mentioned above and should meet your needs as a portable software development workstation and will work great for modern games.

TRENDING THREADS