Looking for PSU and GPU for my system

selentertain

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hello Experts,

I am planning to buy a graphics card and PSU for my system. My current system specs are given below.

---
CPU : Intel Core i3-530 2.93GHz
Ram : Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
PSU : iBall 450W (I am afraid I have to change it for my new GPU)
Mobo : Intel H55 TC (PCIe 2.1 x16)
Monitor : Samsung B2230 (1920 x 1080 Resolution)
Hard Disk : Samsung 500GB 7200rpm
DVD writer : Samsung DVD-RW
One Fan that comes with the iBall case.
---

I am a gamer and I play mostly GTA, Assassins Creed, Need For Speed, Battle Field, Call of Duty, Prince of Persia, Hitman and Batman, etc. I used my Laptop to play these games. I am waiting to play new releases in my upgraded PC.

I do not have a big budget in my hand.

So, I am planning to buy an MSI HD 7770 power edition. Is that a good card in terms of my use and budget (below INR 9000) ? So, for matching that I would like to buy a PSU.

I considered the following :

Corsair VS 550W (INR 3390)
Corsair CX 430W (INR 2938)

I read that Corsair VS series is bad and it does not have quality and not apt for gaming purpose. A lot of posts does confirm that CX 430 is enough for similar builds. Please let me know whether I shall go with the CX430 ?

I do not expect a crossfire in the future or any other recent upgrades?

Let me know your thoughts.

Selvakumar S

Solution
Well.. I live in India and I might be able to help..

1. Get the Corsair CX 430. It should be enough for this setup. It would never consume more than 300W power.

2. As for the GPU get the cheapest 7770 that is available, they all are just the same just difference in cooler and clock speeds. So, assuming that you are buying from http://flipkart.com , just get the cheapest Nvidia 7770 that you can. Also look for the Nvidia 650 Ti, it is very powerful and also around the 9000 Rupees price in India.

3. Another thing is that you should upgrade your RAM to 4GB, the 2GB RAM would just not cut it anymore, so better just grab another 2GB RAM stick and put that into your rig.

I hope this helps. If you have anything else to ask, then please...

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
here are the things you need to upgrade
- CPU
- RAM
- PSU
- GPU

Both the CX430 and HD 7770 are good. They can do BF3 at high- ultra at 30+ FPS.
But you would need to upgrade your CPU. Games nowadays are using more threads and cores.
I recommend the i5 750 .

But CPUs with that socket type are pretty rare , so you might have to upgrade your Motherboard too.

You might have to save up for more money

the AMD HD7770 has a low max TDP of 80W, so with your current PSU you will be ok.
However,if you want to upgrade yuor PSU the VS series are very basic, CX series is better but still low quality PSU( bough are bottom Corsair lineup series).
I recommend something like XFX550W pro series, I think you can get it for less than 50.00dls after rebate.
XFX is a much more quality PSU made by SEASONIC, with better voltage regulation, lower ripple-noise levels etc..

IRONBATMAN

Honorable

-_-

XFX PSUs are made by Seasonic

He has a tight budget so the CX430 fits the bill

CX430W--US$39.99 at www.newegg.com
XFX550W US$69.99 at www.newegg.com
I think is worth saving just a bit more and get the XFX.

selentertain

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Thank you IRON BATMAN and Juan. I am in India and I suppose it costs higher in here. :)

Is CX430 enough if i buy an HD7770 as my both my CPU and GPU are having good power savings ?

IRON BATMAN, let me know whether the MSI HD 7770 power edition is good or not? I need to know whether this MSI is good or do I have to look for other vendors like Sapphire or Powercolor or XFX or Gigabyte?

IRONBATMAN

Honorable

selentertain

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

MSI power edition is an over clocked model. In real life , I mean practically not in virtual benchmarks, Is there any visible performance improvement if I go with MSI power edition than the Sapphire normal edition ? Otherwise its better to go with the normal edition you have showed me.

selentertain

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Hah!! You saved me... That's a nice suggestion. I shall consult with the local shops and check the recent prices here. If I can save some in graphics card, then I can fund more for PSU. :)

I want to be sure that corsair cx430 will not cause any trouble for my PSU. I meant saving a 1000 bucks in PSU should not damage my 8000 bucks GPU. As you have more experience with this, I accept your confirmation with going for CX430. It wont damage my PSU, right ?

It dos not matter wich country you live in.
I live in Cuba, and here it costs much more(double or triple overpriced).
I just put an example from neewegg to compare, the diference between bough of them is not a big deal.
I can live at any country, I will think the same way,(saving just a few more bucks I will get a much better PSU, whatever country I am).

Well.. I live in India and I might be able to help..

1. Get the Corsair CX 430. It should be enough for this setup. It would never consume more than 300W power.

2. As for the GPU get the cheapest 7770 that is available, they all are just the same just difference in cooler and clock speeds. So, assuming that you are buying from http://flipkart.com , just get the cheapest Nvidia 7770 that you can. Also look for the Nvidia 650 Ti, it is very powerful and also around the 9000 Rupees price in India.

3. Another thing is that you should upgrade your RAM to 4GB, the 2GB RAM would just not cut it anymore, so better just grab another 2GB RAM stick and put that into your rig.

I hope this helps. If you have anything else to ask, then please feel free to do so.

Solution

selentertain

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I heard that 650Ti does not make much difference but a Ti Boost version will make a massive change. If it is, then I can wait a few more months to make some more funds. As I am playing in 1920*1080 resolution, I think GTX 650Ti Boost is better. If so, I can wait more.

In that case, will CX430 suffice ? Will my i3-530 bottleneck 650Ti Boost? If so, I will better go with 7770 because I don't intend to upgrade my mobo and processor now.

I am considering a RAM upgrade to 4GB :)

If it is possible, let me know whether the price will drop down in January as some new series of graphics card released for AMD?

The 650 Ti boost should be fine for most games, the bottleneck would only be in CPU intensive game but then too the overall setup would perform better than the 7770. So go for the 650 Ti boost.

As for the PSU, yes, 430W is enough for like most single GPU gaming rigs upto a Nvidia 660. So, go for it. Not a problem.. :D

TRENDING THREADS