[SOLVED] Looking for RAM recommendation for my PC

Aug 16, 2020
Hello all,

I've seen many articles/benchmarks online showing how well AMD Ryzen 3000 series perform with 3200mhz - 3600mhz DDR4 RAM. I'm currently considering this upgrade, but would like some input first, and maybe some recommendations from people more knowledgeable than myself!

Relevant PC Specs:
Ryzen 9 3900 (non-X)
MSI x570-A Pro
RTX 2080Ti
Currently 2x8gb HyperX Fury DDR4 3000mhz

I'm definitely considering anywhere between 3200mhz - 3600mhz, particularly the G.Skill Trident Z Neo.
My budget is pretty flexible, so basically:
Should I go for 32gb? I intend to continuously upgrade my partin the future.
Should I go for 3200 or 3600?
Should I upgrade at all, or will I see literally zero performance increase despite all the testimonial showing decent performance increases?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 16, 2020
If you are buying new ram, you may as well upgrade the capacity too. I would go with 3600 CL16 ram.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $168.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-24 09:05 EDT-0400

Thanks for the reply mate, that's actually the exact one I was looking to buy (except I'll be paying in tea and crumpets, not $ :) ).

Do you reckon I'll see a performance increase with this? Obviously after enabling profile in XMP (or AMD equivilent)

If you are short of ram for your usage, then, by all means buy a 32gb kit, and you might make it 3600 speed.
Pick a kit from the motherboard supported QVL list.

But... I suspect that you are not short of ram at all.
Look at task manager memory section.
Find the hard fault page rate.
A hard fault happens when windows needs some code and it needs to go to the page file to find it.
Likely, you will see a rate of zero which indicates that your ram capacity is fine and that windows is managing it. A rate of one per second would warrant adding ram.

Do you have a good ssd?
Hard fault page resolution is perhaps 40x faster with a ssd than with a HDD.

logainofhades

Titan
If you are short of ram for your usage, then, by all means buy a 32gb kit, and you might make it 3600 speed.
Pick a kit from the motherboard supported QVL list.

But... I suspect that you are not short of ram at all.
Look at task manager memory section.
Find the hard fault page rate.
A hard fault happens when windows needs some code and it needs to go to the page file to find it.
Likely, you will see a rate of zero which indicates that your ram capacity is fine and that windows is managing it. A rate of one per second would warrant adding ram.

Do you have a good ssd?
Hard fault page resolution is perhaps 40x faster with a ssd than with a HDD.

My thing was more of if you are buying a new kit, just go with the higher capacity, as well. Going from one 16gb kit, to another, doesn't really seem like a real upgrade, to me.