[SOLVED] Looking for Ram that runs at 2400mhz without XMP Profile

Jun 24, 2021
I recently bought a new set of ram that was advertised as 2666 but ran at 2133 without XMP. Unfortunately, I then had to find out the hard way that (atleast according to users on the dell forum) my motherboard doesn't have XMP support. I've been trying to find a set of 2x8 gb ram sticks that can run at 2400mhz without XMP. It seems like its a bit of a minefield because most brands seem to advertise their XMP speeds not the base speeds. If anyone could link me a set of sticks that might work, that would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
For computers that do not support XMP, only JEDEC, the memory must have the exact spec that is supported.

For example in your case the Intel 7700 CPU supports a maximum of DDR4-2400, so you need DDR4-2400 CL17 1.20V (JEDEC profile) for the system to recognize and run at full memory speed.

For down clocking and lowering RAM speed automatically, a supported JEDEC must be available. So for a DD4-2666 RAM to work in your system, it must have CL19 timings, as then it is likely to have a DDR4-2400 CL17 and DDR4-2133 CL15 profile (JEDEC specs). Kits that are not of the JEDEC specs may not have the same steps/profiles down so if a system can not support XMP, it is always best to use one of the JEDEC specs mentioned for guaranteed...
The motherboard doesn't need to have "XMP support".

It's not a matter of XMP, it's a matter of basic "JEDEC" support, and that is fundamentally a part of all memory for at least baseline function and profiles, and all motherboards, period. If a motherboard can't support standard baseline JEDEC profiles, it likely won't ever make it to production anyhow.

Unfortunately it would be hard to tell you much of ANYTHING concrete without knowing exactly what motherboard we are talking about, and the rest of the hardware specs would be especially helpful as well.

Jun 24, 2021
Hello, thanks for the response.

My computers specs are:

Alienware Aurora R6
Intel i7 7700
Alienware 07HV66 Motherboard
Gtx 1060
This is pretty similar to the stock ram in my PC: https://www.newegg.com/sk-hynix-8gb...-sk hynix inc.-_-9SIAFYRANJ9083&source=region

This is the New set I got: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xl...BROkgTqhb-W28LApY7EaAmETEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My Motherboard supports up to 2400Mhz. In my BIOS, the XMP feature does not exist anywhere, this is a link to the thread I made on Dell for extra info if you want: https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...m-downgraded-my-ram-speed/td-p/7900224/page/3

XMP profiles are just pre-baked settings that can be read in by the motherboard firmware to set speed and timings. There's nothing stopping you from setting these yourself manually if the motherboard firmware supports this.

For example I had some DDR4-2667 RAM that wouldn't work with XMP on a board I had, but if I simply set the RAM speed to 2667 (I forget if I messed with the timings), it worked just fine.

Ok, I'll see if I can look into that, I was just afraid that I may do something wrong and mess up my computer.
If anything, start with the timings in the table at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR4_SDRAM#JEDEC_standard_DDR4_module or leave them at auto and just set the speed. I'm not familiar with manual memory tuning but supposedly motherboards may try several times, appearing to do nothing and then reboot, to see if the new timings work before declaring failure. If anything goes wrong, you can reset the settings by popping the coin battery out and waiting a few minutes (or if you're feeling brave, cut the power to the PC, pop the coin battery out, and short the battery's terminals with a screwdriver or something metal for 30 seconds)

Jun 24, 2021
It doesn't seem like in my BIOS there is anywhere to set manual timings. I think at this point though, I'm just gonna throw in the towel and run at 2133Mhz, its not a noticable difference compared to 2400Mhz, and its been a big hassle trying to troubleshoot. I'm not quite sure how to close the thread but I'm going to just stick with my Current Ram instead of getting it refunded and all that.

Jun 24, 2021
Also I think the reason that it isn't working is maybe because I got a 2666Mhz Set of ram, and my Mobo only supports up to 2400Mhz, but I had read online that it would just lower its speed to run at 2400 so I'm not sure.

but I had read online that it would just lower its speed to run at 2400
A common misunderstanding how it works. Motherboard is not "lowering" the ram speed - unless instructed otherwise it runs the RAM at base speed (which for DDR4 is 2133). Anything above that speed is technically "overclock" and for most boards you have to set it up (either by using XMP or manually, it does not matter) by yourself. The speed on the sticks is just a way of saying "it has been tested to safely overclock to this value" and nothing more.

I recently bought a new set of ram that was advertised as 2666 but ran at 2133 without XMP. Unfortunately, I then had to find out the hard way that (atleast according to users on the dell forum) my motherboard doesn't have XMP support. I've been trying to find a set of 2x8 gb ram sticks that can run at 2400mhz without XMP. It seems like its a bit of a minefield because most brands seem to advertise their XMP speeds not the base speeds. If anyone could link me a set of sticks that might work, that would be greatly appreciated.
Did you install the ram in the proper slots?.....see the manual.
Did you install the latest bios/chipset/ME driver?

Dell does not want users mucking around with any sort of OCing and making a mess and then calling dell support so they strip out that stuff.
I doubt you will find much in the dell bios to control ram speed.

Jun 24, 2021
Ok I gotchu, yeah I was misunderstood, I didn't realize that all DDR4 Ram was set to a base speed of 2133. My original Ram runs at 2400 without me having to do anything, so I just thought I might be able to find other Ram like that. Thanks for clearing that up.

For computers that do not support XMP, only JEDEC, the memory must have the exact spec that is supported.

For example in your case the Intel 7700 CPU supports a maximum of DDR4-2400, so you need DDR4-2400 CL17 1.20V (JEDEC profile) for the system to recognize and run at full memory speed.

For down clocking and lowering RAM speed automatically, a supported JEDEC must be available. So for a DD4-2666 RAM to work in your system, it must have CL19 timings, as then it is likely to have a DDR4-2400 CL17 and DDR4-2133 CL15 profile (JEDEC specs). Kits that are not of the JEDEC specs may not have the same steps/profiles down so if a system can not support XMP, it is always best to use one of the JEDEC specs mentioned for guaranteed compatibility.

Here are some available options that should work great in your system:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gskill+2400+16gb&N=600531833 100007611 601275375

For pre-built systems, the latest Alienware and some older versions we have seen XMP support. It is possibly for unlocked CPUs only, however it is not yet confirmed.

Solution
For motherboards that don't explicitly have the ability to "enable" XMP, I usually recommend simply leaving them all on Auto unless there are problems with the auto configuration and you need to change some primary or secondary timings to make the kit work. If everything "works" but the speed is wrong, then leave everything on Auto except set the speed manually to what the kit is supposed to run at (IF it is supported by the current board and CPU configuration). If there are no user changeable settings for any of the DRAM timings or speed, which often there are not on OEM type systems with OEM type motherboards, then there really isn't much you can do to be honest.

That is the ENTIRE reason enthusiasts prefer to build custom systems with aftermarket motherboards, so that they can have access to these kinds of additional settings that are often not present on the OEM motherboards that have only the most basic BIOS configuration options.

Jun 24, 2021

For down clocking and lowering RAM speed automatically, a supported JEDEC must be available. So for a DD4-2666 RAM to work in your system, it must have CL19 timings, as then it is likely to have a DDR4-2400 CL17 and DDR4-2133 CL15 profile (JEDEC specs). Kits that are not of the JEDEC specs may not have the same steps/profiles down so if a system can not support XMP, it is always best to use one of the JEDEC specs mentioned for guaranteed compatibility.

Here are some available options that should work great in your system:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gskill+2400+16gb&N=600531833 100007611 601275375

For pre-built systems, the latest Alienware and some older versions we have seen XMP support. It is possibly for unlocked CPUs only, however it is not yet confirmed.

The Sniper Ram finished shipping today, and so far has worked like a charm at the desired speeds, I still have no overclock option as expected, but it runs at 2400mhz like I hoped it would. Thanks for the recommendations.