Looking for recommendation for 27inch 1440p IPS panel monitor for gaming

noeljamesdoherty

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a 27inch 1440p IPS panel monitor. I've done a lot of searching but most monitors I find have iffy reviews. Many are complaining of dead pixels, backlight issues and ghosting.

Any recommendations?

P.s This will be for my new build using a gtx 1080

Solution
All 1440p 144Hz IPS technology displayproduction is new and not yet stable.
You would need to go through several RMAs to get a fully problem-free one.
Not only dead pixels other problems are also often e.g. backlight bleeding, etc.

As for brand according to my experience,
Acer has the lower RMA rate compared to ASUS for example....lower RMA rate...not RMA free....

I am one of the lucky guys, who got a relative fully working XB270HU out of the very first box.

All 1440p 144Hz IPS technology displayproduction is new and not yet stable.
You would need to go through several RMAs to get a fully problem-free one.
Not only dead pixels other problems are also often e.g. backlight bleeding, etc.

As for brand according to my experience,
Acer has the lower RMA rate compared to ASUS for example....lower RMA rate...not RMA free....

I am one of the lucky guys, who got a relative fully working XB270HU out of the very first box.

Solution

noeljamesdoherty

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

That would drive me mad. I'll get a very good quality TN panel. Thank you sir!

noeljamesdoherty

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

I've seen plenty of evidence to suggest that 144Hz refresh rate is not noticable. Including a video done by Linus Tech Tips doing a test on someone. So I'll check out some 60Hz IPS monitors so. Any reccomendations?

noeljamesdoherty

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

I've seen plenty of evidence to suggest that 144Hz refresh rate is not noticable. Including a video done by Linus Tech Tips doing a test on someone. So I'll check out some 60Hz IPS monitors so. Any reccomendations?

I am using 144hz monitor for gaming since about 2 years and I do not wanna go back to 60hz for gaming.
Yes, you can see the difference especially if your PC can push high fps too.

Yes, 60hz IPS does not have to big issues.

I am using XB270HU for main monitor (gaming) and PB278QR for secondary, both 1440p IPS but one 144hz and the other 60hz.
I can simply switch gaming on the 144hz and 60hz anytime I want.

There IS a noticeable difference between 60-75htz & 144htz IF you can push a 100fps + constant.

That said at 1440p with a 1080 I'm fairly doubtful that is going to happen on a lot of newer AAA titles

You should list the rest of your proposed system , your budget for the monitor & your location (country)

That will make recommendations far easier

I do agree with guanyu210379 regarding 144htz 1440p screens , they are few & far between , generally overpriced , can indeed suffer backlight bleed (then again all 27 inch+ panels can) & at the end of the day if you go 144htz at that res you really want to be going gsync which are inordinately expensive.

noeljamesdoherty

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Okay so I'm going for something like this : https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/6Zv9bj

I don't want an IPS panel prone to problems. I'll be fine with a good TN panel monitor. Is there any point getting a 60Hz monitor if I'm getting a 1080? Even if it's 1440p?

It seems that I'd have a way easier job finding a 1080p monitor 144Hz with G-sync. Thoughts?

EDIT: This s frustrating, I've spent the whole day looking at monitors and its driving me crazy. Now I'm thinking along the lines of a solid 1440p 60Hz IPS monitor.

See if you can find the asus pb277q mate.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/PB277Q/

Its a 75htz screen , many people have overclocked to 90htz without issue.

75htz is a good in between with a card like the 1080 IMO.

It doesn't have any fancy features but has a great quality Samsung panel.

Its actually a newer model than the 278q oddly , has none of the issues the older one had & has flicker free & blue light filtering built in.

That said if you honestly have the budget for a 144htz gsync screen go right ahead - just be aware you'll pay twice as much.