[SOLVED] Looking for recommendations for GPUs for my old desktop PC

syedshahzadraza

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
Looking for recommendations for GPUs for my old desktop PC. Below are system details.

3 key areas where I want to use the card are:
  1. Deep learning
  2. Video and photo editing (Adobe products)
  3. Gaming (GTA, Fifa, Assassins Creed, CoD and similar titles)
Acer Veriton X498G

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz 3.07 GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB (5.87 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Those games realistically won't run on an i3-540 at playable fps, no matter what gpu is paired with it.

Deep learning requires major gpu support, you'd be looking at a 2070Super (rtx3060) or better, just to get the tensor core count to be anything close to effective. That's $500+ just for a gpu, for a pc that would struggle to sell for $100. That's not going to get used much since it'll easily soak up the pcie 2.0 x16 bandwidth.

The psu in that Acer won't handle the power requirements of anything close to intended gpu necessary for either gaming or deep learning.

Adobe, Photoshop etc will run on a potato. How fast is a different story, and the hdd will bog you of any speeds, the ram size will bog you, the cpu will bog you. It's 2d...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those games realistically won't run on an i3-540 at playable fps, no matter what gpu is paired with it.

Deep learning requires major gpu support, you'd be looking at a 2070Super (rtx3060) or better, just to get the tensor core count to be anything close to effective. That's $500+ just for a gpu, for a pc that would struggle to sell for $100. That's not going to get used much since it'll easily soak up the pcie 2.0 x16 bandwidth.

The psu in that Acer won't handle the power requirements of anything close to intended gpu necessary for either gaming or deep learning.

Adobe, Photoshop etc will run on a potato. How fast is a different story, and the hdd will bog you of any speeds, the ram size will bog you, the cpu will bog you. It's 2d graphics, even the igpu in that 540 can handle it, it's the rest of the supporting equipment that's going to slow everything down drastically.
For that stated use case, a different GPU is 3rd in the line of things you need to change. At best.
Not really. That's being generous. Realistically it's 2nd in line of things. 1st in line being an entirely new and modern ish pc.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS