[SOLVED] Looking for recommendations of ITX Mobo

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Hello guys,

Hope you're all doing well. I am in need of all the experts' knowledge about ITX Mobo if you can please?

I am building a PC this weekend and I will be going to Micro Center to pick out all the parts. However, the ITX Mobo that I wanted, Asus Z390-I is sold out pretty much every where and I would like to avoid paying +$120 on Amazon.

So can I get your opinion on...what would be something similar to the Asus Z390-I from other brands?

I like the Z390-I because I've worked with Asus Bios before and I am very familiar with it. I am afraid to switch to something different. I would like something that has a good OC capability as well.

I am going to be getting the i7-9700k with RTX 2070 S, 32 GB of RAM and 750 PSU. 2 M.2's as well.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Whatever the problem is, like i said, it's not like it's happening everyday. It's just unexpected. He could use it for 8 hours a day or more for days with no problem at all. Then boot up the one day and get an error right at boot up.

Bottom line is, I just don't want an Ryzen processor right now, just like how you wouldn't want an Intel. You won't know how the future is gonna be like. In a couple of years, things might get better for both, so does it matter what comes on top?
I know the Z390 board won't be getting any meaningful CPU releases (It's a dead platform essentially) and the X570 platform will...

It's about what's better now it's not far off getting a FX 9590 in 2016 because things might pick up for Intel in a year...
Hello guys,

Hope you're all doing well. I am in need of all the experts' knowledge about ITX Mobo if you can please?

I am building a PC this weekend and I will be going to Micro Center to pick out all the parts. However, the ITX Mobo that I wanted, Asus Z390-I is sold out pretty much every where and I would like to avoid paying +$120 on Amazon.

So can I get your opinion on...what would be something similar to the Asus Z390-I from other brands?

I like the Z390-I because I've worked with Asus Bios before and I am very familiar with it. I am afraid to switch to something different. I would like something that has a good OC capability as well.

I am going to be getting the i7-9700k with RTX 2070 S, 32 GB of RAM and 750 PSU. 2 M.2's as well.

Thank you in advance.
May I ask why the 9700K over the cheaper 3700X? You get like twice the threads for less money.

It's a gaming rig for my little bro. IMO, I think 9700k performs better in a lot of the games I play as well.
They're pretty much dead even and the 3700X will perform better in newer titles than can use more threads, which will happen now the consoles have Zen 2 8 cores in them. In any case unless you're throwing a 2080 in there and playing at 1080p 144Hz you could throw a 3600 in there and you'd still be GPU bound in most cases (universe sandbox, Anna etc are different stories).

Think ASUS does a X570 ITX board, more expensive but the savings on the CPU would round about cover it.

Last edited:

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
?
The 2 cpus are pretty much neck and neck...

They're pretty much dead even and the 3700X will perform better in newer titles than can use more threads, which will happen now the consoles have Zen 2 8 cores in them. In any case unless you're throwing a 2080 in there and playing at 1080p 144Hz you could throw a 3600 in there and you'd still be GPU bound in most cases (universe sandbox, Anna etc are different stories).

Think ASUS does a X570 ITX board, more expensive but the savings on the CPU would round about cover it.

I know they're very closely matched. But I still prefer the i7-9700k. I am using it on my rig. Absolutely love it. I guess maybe I can go for Asrock Z390i Phantom?

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Are you sure that ITX board (and probably small case with small PSU) are the best match for a gaming rig? MicroATX board will open muc more options.

What would be your recommendation then?

I've built a i5-9600k with 1650 S in a H210i case. CPU is overclocked to 5.0GHZ at 1.32v. with Mastercooler AIO. Everything worked out well. I never had anything overheated at all. That's with the Z390-I from Asus. That's why I wanted the same board again. But for some reason, they are in the shortage.

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
So you'd rather spend more and buy a dead end platform with very little upgrade path because you get an intel sticker? There is no difference in how you use it and you get much better value from AMD.

Oh absolutely! Why upgrade when I can just sell the system if I don't like it anymore and build a new one? Money is not an issue when it comes to this. It's a hobby to me.

My buddy has a Ryzen 7 3700x. He gets crashes every now and then at random weather in game or just doing stuffs on his rig. He reinstalled windows, update bios, reinstall every drivers, running stock too with AIO cooler. Random crashes happens every now and then. Sometimes even turning on the PC, it would give an error.

Mine has been flawless since day 1. My girlfriend's rig with 9600k and 1650S. Same thing, temps are great at 5.0Ghz. No issues whatsoever. Only issue I've ever had on my rig is with Cod MW. It crashes when I turn on Ray Tracing with my 2080 S. Only odd thing is, it crashes due to CPU usage, a known issue with the game? Idk, but I am using Process Lasso now, solved the issues immediately. No crash since and I average 220-230 FPS with 1080p 144hz monitor. So yea, I would prefer Intel over AMD.

Oh absolutely! Why upgrade when I can just sell the system if I don't like it anymore and build a new one? Money is not an issue when it comes to this. It's a hobby to me.

My buddy has a Ryzen 7 3700x. He gets crashes every now and then at random weather in game or just doing stuffs on his rig. He reinstalled windows, update bios, reinstall every drivers, running stock too with AIO cooler. Random crashes happens every now and then. Sometimes even turning on the PC, it would give an error.

Mine has been flawless since day 1. My girlfriend's rig with 9600k and 1650S. Same thing, temps are great at 5.0Ghz. No issues whatsoever. Only issue I've ever had on my rig is with Cod MW. It crashes when I turn on Ray Tracing with my 2080 S. Only odd thing is, it crashes due to CPU usage, a known issue with the game? Idk, but I am using Process Lasso now, solved the issues immediately. No crash since and I average 220-230 FPS with 1080p 144hz monitor. So yea, I would prefer Intel over AMD.
Crashes due to what? Probs bought incompatible RAM. Sounds like PEBCAK to me.

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Crashes due to what? Probs bought incompatible RAM. Sounds like PEBCAK to me.

Not his first PC build. He checked for compatbility before the build. Also, he built an Intel system for his younger sibling too like 7 months ago too, i5-9600k, again, it runs smoothly. No random crashes in games or anything. I am not saying my buddy is not happy with Ryzen 7. Random crashes can happen in any system, but it happens to his build a bit too early into its life cycle.

Multitasking is great on the Ryzen 7, but I barely notice anything significant. We even tested exporting 10 mins video on both systems, his beat mine by like 20 seconds. But in games, I average higher FPS than his even before I overclocked mine. We both running Asus Strix RTX 2080 S. Therefore, I am not looking to switch to AMD.

Not his first PC build. He checked for compatbility before the build. Also, he built an Intel system for his younger sibling too like 7 months ago too, i5-9600k, again, it runs smoothly. No random crashes in games or anything. I am not saying my buddy is not happy with Ryzen 7. Random crashes can happen in any system, but it happens to his build a bit too early into its life cycle.

Multitasking is great on the Ryzen 7, but I barely notice anything significant. We even tested exporting 10 mins video on both systems, his beat mine by like 20 seconds. But in games, I average higher FPS than his even before I overclocked mine. We both running Asus Strix RTX 2080 S. Therefore, I am not looking to switch to AMD.
Crashing like that is almost certainly a RAM problem, there's multiple lists for every board too.

What res, what programme, did it have edits, did it use quick sync? You can't just say "yeah we exported a 10 min video".

Come back in a couple of years see which ones on top

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Crashing like that is almost certainly a RAM problem, there's multiple lists for every board too.

What res, what programme, did it have edits, did it use quick sync? You can't just say "yeah we exported a 10 min video".

Come back in a couple of years see which ones on top

Whatever the problem is, like i said, it's not like it's happening everyday. It's just unexpected. He could use it for 8 hours a day or more for days with no problem at all. Then boot up the one day and get an error right at boot up.

Bottom line is, I just don't want an Ryzen processor right now, just like how you wouldn't want an Intel. You won't know how the future is gonna be like. In a couple of years, things might get better for both, so does it matter what comes on top?

I know the Z390 board won't be getting any meaningful CPU releases (It's a dead platform essentially) and the X570 platform will...

It's about what's better now it's not far off getting a FX 9590 in 2016 because things might pick up for Intel in a year or 2. You'd have to buy a new board for whatever they launch as a response to Zen anyway.

Solution