[SOLVED] Looking for recommendations on cooling my new computer

Jun 18, 2020
Motherboard: H310CM-HDVM.2
CPU: intel i7 9700 (Non K)
GPU: nvidia 1660 SUPER
RAM: 32 GB Ripjaws
PSU: EVGA 500w
STORAGE: 500gb ssd, 1TB FireCuda, 2TB West. Digital Black. All internal

Computer is a B731 model made by powerspec all I did was upgrade power supply to a 500W EVGA, the RAM, and GPU
The case I'm unsure of the name at the moment but it comes with the B731 prebuilt by powerspec.

If you need me to answer a few more questions please ask away!
Also looking to figure out if I should upgrade to a 650W EVGA gold rated PSU from the 500W EVGA I have.

Last edited:
Solution
Well, what's your current cooling situation? Honestly, with a non-K 9700, your cooling situation probably isn't a problem and you'd likely be spending money to no end.

I'd personally upgrade the power supply; EVGA's non-mediocre PSUs tend to have x50W not x00W. Though honestly, I'd only upgrade to another EVGA if you can find a B2/G2/G3/T2/P2/GS. It's a fair less interesting company now that they're no longer doing things with Super Flower.

That being said, I'm also very strict about power supply quality. Your PSU is likely of middling quality, but you also don't have a particularly power-hungry rig and you're not overclocking, so your power demands are fairly light. There's an argument, given the supply issues, to simply wait until...

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, what's your current cooling situation? Honestly, with a non-K 9700, your cooling situation probably isn't a problem and you'd likely be spending money to no end.

I'd personally upgrade the power supply; EVGA's non-mediocre PSUs tend to have x50W not x00W. Though honestly, I'd only upgrade to another EVGA if you can find a B2/G2/G3/T2/P2/GS. It's a fair less interesting company now that they're no longer doing things with Super Flower.

That being said, I'm also very strict about power supply quality. Your PSU is likely of middling quality, but you also don't have a particularly power-hungry rig and you're not overclocking, so your power demands are fairly light. There's an argument, given the supply issues, to simply wait until hopefully the COVID-19 pandemic runs its course and electronics prices are more normal. PSUs tend to be running $20-$50 above their normal prices.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $124.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-18 03:51 EDT-0400

DSzymborski

Titan

That being said, I'm also very strict about power supply quality. Your PSU is likely of middling quality, but you also don't have a particularly power-hungry rig and you're not overclocking, so your power demands are fairly light. There's an argument, given the supply issues, to simply wait until hopefully the COVID-19 pandemic runs its course and electronics prices are more normal. PSUs tend to be running $20-$50 above their normal prices.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $124.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-18 03:51 EDT-0400

Solution
Jun 18, 2020
Awesome response. That corsair psu looks like a good quality. Definitely considering buying that exact one. It's 100% compatible with my motherboard? I did have a problem once installing a PSU and ruined the motherboard awhile back. Had to throw it away thank God it was just a cheapie.

Cooling situation is stock :)

Right now I'm downloading a game or two, and have a few FireFox windows/tabs open, steam and battle.net programs are open but not doing much. Stays at 38 Celsius and goes up to around 45 Celsius. When running games it goes up to about 65-70. For some odd reason when I run Call of Duty: WARZONE it goes up to 75 Celsius sometimes even 80.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Awesome response. That corsair psu looks like a good quality. Definitely considering buying that exact one. It's 100% compatible with my motherboard? I did have a problem once installing a PSU and ruined the motherboard awhile back. Had to throw it away thank God it was just a cheapie.

Cooling situation is stock :)

Right now I'm downloading a game or two, and have a few FireFox windows/tabs open, steam and battle.net programs are open but not doing much. Stays at 38 Celsius and goes up to around 45 Celsius. When running games it goes up to about 65-70. For some odd reason when I run Call of Duty: WARZONE it goes up to 75 Celsius sometimes even 80.

Honestly, your cooling situation is probably fine. If you wanted to improve it a bit, a decent budget air cooler will do more than enough.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $44.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-18 11:34 EDT-0400

(I gave you the RGB one, there's a non-RGB one that's cheaper).

The PSU I linked you is one of the best mainstream choices.