Zanuan

Honorable
Mar 6, 2015
Recently switched to AT&T Fiber
Router is a UVerse 5268AC FXN
Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard
EVGA NEX750B
Windows 10

What are the pro's and con's of a wireless card and USB adapters? My phone is able to consistently get 50Mb/s speeds on wifi so am I right in thinking that a wireless card or USB adapter be able to do the same? (even 30Mb/s would be appreciated) I am currently using a power line adapter but its speed is around 4-5Mb/s so I wanted to look into wireless options.

Are there any cards or usb adapters that you would personally recommend?

Thank you!

Solution
You must have an old version of powerline adapter or a lot of noise on power lines. Are you pluged direct into wall outlet?
I can get 70mbps all day with a av500 powelrine adapter.

For gaming even a 20mbps speed on powerine is better then wifi because of the extra latency (delay) in wireless signals. Thus it takes an extra fraction of a second to get from your device to the router with wifi vs ethernet or even powerline; and in a game that fraction of a second can make a difference.

If you cant run an ethernet cable to yoru desktop (always the best decision) then getting a newer av1000 or better powerline adapter would be better then any wifi option.
You must have an old version of powerline adapter or a lot of noise on power lines. Are you pluged direct into wall outlet?
I can get 70mbps all day with a av500 powelrine adapter.

For gaming even a 20mbps speed on powerine is better then wifi because of the extra latency (delay) in wireless signals. Thus it takes an extra fraction of a second to get from your device to the router with wifi vs ethernet or even powerline; and in a game that fraction of a second can make a difference.

If you cant run an ethernet cable to yoru desktop (always the best decision) then getting a newer av1000 or better powerline adapter would be better then any wifi option.

Solution

mimran86

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
I was wary that a USB adapter wouldn't be as fast, but I've been downloading at 1.8 MB per second consistently, which is the fastest I've ever downloaded at home, so I'll take it.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Generally speaking a good PCI-E wifi adapter is better for gaming vs a USB. Coupled with a quality wireless router you may not see much difference vs. a wired connection. I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS router and a TP-Link/Archer T8E PCI-E adapter. While its not a twitch based online game I do play WoW with the wireless connection 40 ft and three walls from the wifi router. I just checked both the wired PC and the wireless to see what my latency was with the game. The wired PC had 69ms latency and the wireless had 71ms (from a server about 2000 miles from my home. I can't tell the difference in lag from once PC to another.

While it is true that every environment is different where wireless performance is concerned as with anything if you spend a decent amount on quality hardware you stand a better chance of being satisfied with the result.

TRENDING THREADS