[SOLVED] Looking for replacement PSU

Jan 28, 2020
Hello,

I am looking for a decent replacement PSU around 100$ CAD on newegg.ca for the following build (prefer modular if possible)

Desktop
Msi Z97 Gaming 5
Gigabyte GTX 970
HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB memory
Intel 4790k
Thermaltake 650W PSU
3 SSD / 1 HDD / 1 DVD reader/writer

Previous power supply did the following before giving up :

Step 1: Random blue screens
Step 2 : Mobo booting but not enough power for gpu or fan (noticed psu issue at that point and forcepc closure)
Step3 : had the stupid idea to retry again and it died there.(hope it didn’t broke another component...)

Any suggestion will be appreciated

thanks

Solution
You can try and make a new thread in the windows section, there are some guys that really know how to deal with blue screens, maybe they can see if it is software related. Don't think you have tried a reinstall of windows for instance, but maybe you don't have to, maybe they can pinpoint an old driver or even new one as cause.
D

Deleted member 1560910

'

What do you think of this ?

Jan 28, 2020
Thanks for your help , I will buy the Seasonic focus GX-850 to replace current PSU.
I will then be able to see if there’s other issues with the PC.
850W should add enough power in case I have to upgrade graphic card at some point.

Reactions: Vic 40
Jan 28, 2020
Update :
PC is now powering up / but I have the same error/bluescreen
Tried the green/black cables and previous psu was indeed dead.
My guess is the mobo or cpu.
(Tested memory with memtest86 / new dimms ) (no errors / same BSOD)
(Tested with 1 drive / no graphic card, same BSOD)
At that point, I guess I am better off just upgrading the system with a new mobo/cpu/memory

thanks

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You can try and make a new thread in the windows section, there are some guys that really know how to deal with blue screens, maybe they can see if it is software related. Don't think you have tried a reinstall of windows for instance, but maybe you don't have to, maybe they can pinpoint an old driver or even new one as cause.

Solution