[SOLVED] Looking for RGB Mechanical keyboard that can keep color setting on 2nd computer without software

Rblaker2012-3

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2013
Hello,

I am looking for a backlit gaming mechanical keyboard but it must have 3 requirements for me to consider it.
With a 3rd requirement being optional which is multimedia key support (play/pause/fwrd/back & volume)

I would consider $200 being close to my upper limit in cost if I could just find one that was a good fit for me.

Requirements:

1. ALL of the symbols must also light up as well as the numbers, so for example the 1 and ! must both light up as well as any other keys with the exception of the number pad arrow keys which is not a requirement as I almost always have numlock on. I need to be able to use this in the dark and if I can't find the $ key for example, it needs to be lit or this is a deal killer if I have to turn on a lamp to find them.

And just to be clear I am not only talking about the number row, so other symbols like { and [ or , and < are just as important and must also be lit (All symbols).

2. Once the keyboard colors have been set via whatever software you use, I should be able to move that keyboard to any other computer and not be required to run any software EVER for the colors to remain lit they way I set them on computer #1. If used without the software and the colors revert to any other pattern or the keys are no longer illuminated then this is a deal killer. I don’t care if I have to boot back on computer 1 to change the colors but they must stay in onboard memory (Even if there is only 1 color profile) so long as it is a persistent setting.

So far I have tried 2 keyboards, The Razer BlackWidow Elite and the Corsair K95.

Neither of these keyboards adhere to requirement 2, and it seems none of Razer’s product line adhere to requirement 1 from what I am reading unless I am mistaken.

As for the key switch type , the razer has yellow switches and the corsair has mx brown. I could use either one but I'm not against any other switch time as long as its not a membrane or hybrid/membrane type keyboard.

Of both of these 2 I have tried so far like the look and feel of the BlackWidow but the lack of my requirements is killing it for me.

Can someone recommend something I should look at?

Thank you.

Solution
No specific keyboard recommendation.

I suggest that you add words such as "onboard memory", "profile" and "configuration" to your keyboard selection criteria/searches.

Vary or otherwise modify your search criteria to further narrow down the results in accordance with your requirements.

Ralston18

Titan

I suggest that you add words such as "onboard memory", "profile" and "configuration" to your keyboard selection criteria/searches.

Vary or otherwise modify your search criteria to further narrow down the results in accordance with your requirements.

Solution

Rblaker2012-3

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2013

Thanks for the help, from what i have learned the Razer has no on board memory and the K95 does but you have you use the section in the software called "Hardware Lighting", once that is done you can then save the colors to one of the "onboard profiles" which will then allow you keep the lighting without the software running or if moved to a 2nd machine.

In the end i opted to return the K95 as the macro keys kept getting in the way for me so I instead went with the K70.mk2 (cherry mx red). Honestly I think I like the feel of the razer yellow switches more but the lack of onboard profiles and non-illuminated symbols was a deal killer for me...

Anyhow, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction....