[SOLVED] Looking for sas pci controller not pci-e

Apr 12, 2020
Hello all
I am intested in exploring raids but have only pci slots avail to run sas drives. Any advice would be appreciated into models etc. All searches online point to pci-e cards. I am not worried about speed but functionality.

Regards
Joe Blair

Reactions: bencos2018
Solution
the thing is, SAS was introduced in 2004 and PCIe is from 2003
before PCIe, for server market was more common to use PCI-X (higher clocked PCI)
so i guess u can find those too
as for PCI, it was too slow and still is, SAS 1.0 is 3Gbit while PCI 32bit is 1Gbit (2Gbit for 64bit PCI which is on server boards)
and one bad thing about PCI is, all PCI slots shared bandwith with eachother, which made it even worst

so available bandwith makes it already good enough reason to not make card for it

u can get more lucky with SCSI, its predecesor to SAS
the thing is, SAS was introduced in 2004 and PCIe is from 2003
before PCIe, for server market was more common to use PCI-X (higher clocked PCI)
so i guess u can find those too
as for PCI, it was too slow and still is, SAS 1.0 is 3Gbit while PCI 32bit is 1Gbit (2Gbit for 64bit PCI which is on server boards)
and one bad thing about PCI is, all PCI slots shared bandwith with eachother, which made it even worst

so available bandwith makes it already good enough reason to not make card for it

u can get more lucky with SCSI, its predecesor to SAS

Reactions: bencos2018
Solution

TRENDING THREADS