Question Looking for second opinions on this build

Jun 23, 2019
I plan to use this to play and record Minecraft, edit that footage, and upload to YouTube. Just would like to know if this particular build is capable of doing these things, and how well. Budget-wise, would prefer to remain at or below what I have currently. Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xvk2hy

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.74 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($21.99 @ Newegg Business)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.61 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($21.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR MK2 Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $596.09

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Zen2, Ryzen 3000 series is supposed to go public on July 7. You'll probably see mega sales on older stock as ppl try to clear inventory. Apart from price, might be worth the wait since the 3600 is msrp supposedly $199 and a serious bump in capability over the 2600.

What will you be using for editing? If it's Adobe CC, you'd be far better off with Intel, even the 9600k handily beats a 2700x for the most part, a 2600 is on the bottom of the list. Might be worth a look at the i5 9400F build instead.

I'm not even going to talk about that T2 cooler. It's that undesirable. Save the $22 and forget you looked at it.

Rest looks decent, just be aware you will be doing some space management with a 120Gb SSD, Windows can soak up 60+Gb all by itself, you'll definitely want to do things like put pagefile, documents etc on the HDD and most definitely get rid of hibernation, it'll eat up 12Gb of your SSD automatically

Jun 23, 2019
That Hyper T2 (2 pipe) cooler is Horrible it probably won't even cool as well as the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 2600.
If you want to OC that CPU you need to look at decent 4 pipe or 6 pipe cooler

I'm not even going to talk about that T2 cooler. It's that undesirable. Save the $22 and forget you looked at it.

I don't think I plan on doing any overclocking. In that case, what sort of cooling should I be looking for?

What will you be using for editing? If it's Adobe CC, you'd be far better off with Intel, even the 9600k handily beats a 2700x for the most part, a 2600 is on the bottom of the list. Might be worth a look at the i5 9400F build instead.

I just planned on using Shotcut. Would I still want to go with Intel?

Jun 23, 2019
Zen2, Ryzen 3000 series is supposed to go public on July 7. You'll probably see mega sales on older stock as ppl try to clear inventory. Apart from price, might be worth the wait since the 3600 is msrp supposedly $199 and a serious bump in capability over the 2600.

Hm, that could be worth it. I guess just kind of as a baseline, I'd like to know how capable the 2600 is with what I want to do with it. If the videos I can produce with it are at least 30 fps (though 60 would be ideal, obviously), that would be good to know. Then from there, knowing what the 2600 can do, I can make a more informed choice about whether I want to invest in a better CPU to give performance more of a push.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I can't find anything on Shotcut whether it works better on intel or AMD, or even whether it's better to use gpu or cpu. All I can find is minimum specs, which would fit a 10yr old pc and still handle 4k.

Its not just OC. OC can actually lower full use temps as stock voltages tend to run higher than necessary in many cpus. You need to figure on max cpu usage, like somebody running hours of Prime95, because that's a very real possibility when getting into editing, compiling, rendering etc, it'll chew up most, if not all your available threads. The last thing you want is a 2600 pushing all 12 threads for a couple of hours on a chintzy cooler.

TDP is an average of power used by a specific set of apps at base speeds using all cores. What it isn't is the maximum heat output at boost speeds using all threads. Whatever TDP is, figure Max will be 1.5-2x as big. With probable extended periods of heavier than normal usage, I'd be looking at at least 2x-2.5x TDP size coolers. Or anything in the 140-200w range.

Ryzens love fast ram. Their version of Hyperthreading (Infinity Fabric) is what communicates between the dies and cores and is based on ram speeds. There's @ a 20%performance difference between 2133MHz and 3200MHz. Because that ram at 3200MHz is considered (OC) on any motherboard, sometimes it takes a cpu OC to get that speed. Most ppl who own Ryzens will at a minimum OC the cpu by locking all cores at boost speeds, just to keep up the performance under duress and not loose performance due to multi-core usage.

It's like those old, big-block cars, ppl would swap out the little 3core radiator for a larger 4core radiator, or you'd overheat badly in traffic.

Gotta match the cooler for the cpus intended purpose, and then go up a notch to be safe. Any heavy usage on that woefully inadequate T2 and you could expect thermal throttling, shutdowns, temps above 90°C etc. That's not healthy for any pc. Your cooler will probably end up in the $50+ range, not the $50- range.

The cooler that comes with the 2600 will likely be fine. AMD includes capable-enough stock coolers with their processors. The only real reasons to use anything different would be if you were overclocking the processor to get as much performance out of it as possible, or if you wanted a cooler that remains quieter under heavy load.

For a system around this price range, if you don't intend to overclock, I would just stick with the stock cooler unless you happen to notice temperatures getting excessively high (like around 80+ C) when the processor is heavily utilized. You would be better off putting that money toward faster RAM (3000 or 3200) and maybe a larger SSD.

Edit: And if you did intend to overclock, a tower cooler with a 120mm fan around the $30 range, like that Hyper 212 Black in the build you linked to, should be plenty. The Ryzen 2600 is a pretty good processor for overclocking, as it's pretty much the same CPU as a 2600X, just clocked lower by default and with a smaller stock cooler. You could alternately get a 2600X to get those better clocks without overclocking, but while its included cooler is better than the one that comes with the 2600, it's still not on par with what you can get for around $30.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999