[SOLVED] Looking for second opinions on this cooler for a 3900x

Furzumz

Reputable
Hello, I was gonna pick up this cooler in particular for a 3900x. It says it can handle CPUs up to 200W TDP and is surprisingly cheap. Is it too good to be true for the price or does it look like it would work?

I'm not looking to do any overclocking and have no plan on ever doing so. The only overclocking going on is the automatic "boost" feature that's enabled by default. I'm just looking for something that will help run my processor at a lower temperature because my current cooler is a corsair h55 left over from a older build that runs things a bit on the toasty side.

Think this would work for a 3900x?

D

Deleted member 2720853

3900x takes 130W max with PBO enabled during stress testing, from what I've seen.

If you have good airflow in your case, especially if it's a mesh front case, go for it. I would recommend the Freezer 34 eSports Duo if you can pick it up though.

I'm getting the 3900x in few weeks time and decided to go with the Noctua NH-D15, which is still insanely overkill.

Reactions: Furzumz
D

Deleted member 2720853

Not at all...

Wait a minute... didn't you have an issue with the 'humming' of Noctua fans?
Only on case fans. It's not the humming you're talking about, it's a high pitched whine from the "hexagonal combs and dust filter" according to Noctua.

The cooler will be just fine. I don't have an issue with the actual sound of Noctua fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Furzumz

Reputable
Then again, if for some reason you're not really going to take advantage of the 3900X's extra resources, then why get it?

I was being an idiot when I upgraded. I didn't think to come here to ask before upgrading so I ended up going overkill both in parts and destroying my budget, along with unknowingly picking up a "garbage tier but at least not flaming trash fire tier" power supply as someone aptly put it. And I didn't even think about which cooler I would need for a processor like a 3900x

Long story short mistakes were made :(

If I need something better do you guys think a Noctua NH-U12S would work?

D

Deleted member 2720853

I was being an idiot when I upgraded. I didn't think to come here to ask before upgrading so I ended up going overkill both in parts and destroying my budget, along with unknowingly picking up a "garbage tier but at least not flaming trash fire tier" power supply as someone aptly put it. And I didn't even think about which cooler I would need for a processor like a 3900x

Long story short mistakes were made :(

If I need something better do you guys think a Noctua NH-U12S would work?
According to Noctua, that cooler is compatible and will give you "medium turbo/overclocking headroom".

Reactions: Furzumz