Question Looking for similar to an outdoor AP that connects via Wifi, not Ethernet

Helpseeker123

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
I'm looking for something like an outdoor AP that connects by Wifi and not Ethernet due to wanting a simple setup. Needing at least 150 ft in range, so I can connect to the internet at my shop.

Thank you for the help.

You can look at bridge units from companies like ubiquiti. Best option is to put one on each end of the connection. You need clear line of sight as high up as is practical. You might get by with one on only the remote end but there is no way to know since it depends how much signal gets through the wall.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your needs since these connect via ethenet and then run wifi between the buildings. You have to get power to the unit anyway and these use the ethenet cable to deliver both the power and data.

The problem is not the socket it is the power block you plug into the socket. I have never seen one that is waterproof. You would need some kind of enclosure for the power block itself. Even a simple extension cord is make a outdoor socket not waterproof.

I would make the extra effort to run the ethernet inside. Even if you were to find a way to power a wifi repeater (ie it takes wifi in and wifi out) you likely will not be happy with the results. This device would need to penetrate 2 exterior wall on both sides.