Looking for slim, lightweight laptop - or Chromebook?

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi.

This is for my bro. Priorities are that the 14" laptop should be easily portable as he carries it around with him a lot, and on flights etc. - so as slim and lightweight as possible. It only has to 'surf', and run Office - nothing heavier than this. But, it must do this snappily!

He'd pretty much decided on an Acer Swift 3 (AMD Rizen 5 4500 8GB RAM, 1TB SSD) as he'd previously owned a Swift 5, tho' with a smaller screen. I mentioned Chromebooks to him, but I had little to back this up with. An issue is that the device must work fully when off-line, and also run MS Office.

Any suggestions, please?

1. What is your budget? £500-£700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14"

3. What screen resolution do you want? Crisp and non-flicker, certainly.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need? A full day if possible.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Nothing heavier than WP, Charts, PDFs, - Office type stuff.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Ideally around 250GB or above.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. No, but will be new with good warranty.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years?

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Completely open to suggestions.

13. What country do you live in? UK.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Emphasis on slimness and light weight. No CPU-intensive work, but must be quick at boot-up and Office tasks.

The Acer is fine, I would drop down the drive to a 500gb for some cost saving. It will run better than a Chromebook unless you get a higher end Chromebook and then the prices will be just about the same.