Looking for solution to external HDD problem.

Havishka

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I have bought a segment hard drive.i have plugged my hard drive to a corrupt pc after that it is not showing in my pc either it's not showing in disk defragment menu it only shows a light on my external HDD but there's no sign on pc

[Title edited by moderator to reflect the problem]

Solution
Hey there again, @Havishka!

This sounds pretty concerning. :( Are you able to see it listed in the Device Manager as a device? I'd suggest you run Command Prompt (as administrator) and use the DiskPart Command > list disk. It will allow you to see all the disk drives connected to the system, hopefully, including the external one. I'd again try using a different USB cable if you haven't done this already.

Why are you trying to format the HDD in exFAT? Are you using it on other devices/ operating systems besides Windows OS? If you are, try reformatting in FAT32 instead.

I'd also strongly recommend downloading the external hard drive manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool or a third-party...
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @Havishka!

I'd strongly recommend you share more details about your PC system and the external hard drive. Have you tried plugging it to another working PC? I'd also recommend you find another USB cable to plug the external with as it's possible that the PC is not recognizing it due to a failed connectivity to the HDD. It would also be really helpful if you share a screenshot (e.g. via Imgur) of your Disk Management in Windows.
I'd also recommend going to Device Manager and checking if all your USB hub controller drivers are working properly there. Swapping between different USB ports (back and front) is also a good idea to check if the external will get detected properly then.

Hope this helps you. Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Havishka

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello superSoph
I have plugged my device to several pcs win7,win8 and win10 But nothing shows in my computer and disksefragment although as you said i checked my USB hub drivers its working properly my pc running windows 10 and it has a i7 processor. after i plugged in i can see only the name of my HDD near taskbar(safety remove icon) it shows eject bup slim sl[ When i open devices and printers it shows that i plugged in my hard drive to my pc but when i try to look on from my coputer there is no external media plugged i go through device properties and try to update driver but it tells i have alrady updated the driver and its working properly

Can you please check the Disk Management in your Computer? I've shared a tutorial in my previous post that can guide you how to access the utility in Windows. Posting a screenshot of it would be really helpful, so that I could see exactly how the external HDD is recognized there. Do you have any important files onto this external drive or is it a brand new one? When you go to Disk Management in Windows and if you see the external drive listed there (usually it's the last drive on the listed volumes), make sure you also try right-clicking onto it to check WHAT are the given options.

If you do have important files onto it, make sure you back them up somewhere else as soon as you gain access to them.

Keep me posted.
SuperSoph_WD

Yes, @Havishka, I suspected that. :)
I think there's nothing wrong with your external HDD since it's a brand new one.
I see it listed as 'Disk 1' in your Disk Management on the first screenshot. However on the last screenshot, I see a drive F called 'Havishka', is it the same drive or a different one?

When you right-click on the disk (where it says 'Not Initialized') you need to initialize it first (if it's bigger than 2 TB, use the GUID Partition Table a.k.a. GPT) and then partition and format it. In order to make sure you have executed these processes properly, I'd strongly recommend you follow these tutorials:
Step 1: How to initialize your HDD
Step 2: How to Partition & Format your drive

Let me know if you have more questions.
I hope this helps you! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Havishka

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
hello supersoph
yes it is different one btw i pluged my hdd to 3.0 port and it worked i gave a exfat format to my hdd suddenly it stoped working and same thing happend nothing shows in my pc either nothing shows in my diskdefragment menu i tried the way you said but still it is not working and this time it is not showing in disk defragment menu what should i do?:??:

This sounds pretty concerning. :( Are you able to see it listed in the Device Manager as a device? I'd suggest you run Command Prompt (as administrator) and use the DiskPart Command > list disk. It will allow you to see all the disk drives connected to the system, hopefully, including the external one. I'd again try using a different USB cable if you haven't done this already.

Why are you trying to format the HDD in exFAT? Are you using it on other devices/ operating systems besides Windows OS? If you are, try reformatting in FAT32 instead.

I'd also strongly recommend downloading the external hard drive manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool or a third-party alternative to check up on the health and SMART status of the drive.

Keep me posted with the screenshots from there as well. Hope this works.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution