Question Looking for some advice on which motherboard to buy based on the below parts

Sep 13, 2019
I appreciate this may not be the most optimal of parts, however I'm upgrading in parts at a time. I currently have

Intel i5 7400k
8gb ddr3 ram
GeForce gtx 1050
250v Psu

I've just bought, and being delivered today:

Additional 8gb stick of ram
GeForce rtx 2060 super
550w corsair Psu

So I'm looking for a motherboard that can hold:

Intel i5 7400k
2 x 8gb ddr3 ram
GeForce rtx 2060 super

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm relatively new to pc gaming, and certainly upgrading/putting things together.

Thanks so much in advance.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Good morning Bri_08,

Why DDR3? While your CPU supports both DDR3L & DDR4, why not just upgrade up to the faster DDR4? I know you already have 8GB of DDR3, but you'd be much better served with just going with 16GB DDR4. (Not expensive either--> Mushkin Silverline DDR4-2400) Not that DDR3 is bad per se, but your PC will only be as strong as the weakest link and DDR3 is inferior to DDR4. Especially since you'll be going with a 2060 Super. A very nice jump up from the 1050 you have BTW. :)

Take a look here and pick the one you like. They are all compatible. (Mostly DDR4)
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=qnM323

Here is a good post with some info which is similar to your current system:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-z-170m-e-d3-ddr3-i5-7400-compatible.3242231/

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019
Hi there Mrgr74!

Thanks so much for the reply, sorry for my slow response, currently working at the moment.

I guess that looking at my current 8gb ram I had, seen it was ddr3 and thought best to purchase another 8gb stick of the same. I'll absolutely consider just moving to ddr4 though.

I really appreciate the link to motherboards. I get very confused as to what board is compatible with the processor I have, and will fit the 2060 super. I don't suppose there's any chance it will fit my current motherboard that holds the i5 7400k and 1050? Seems like the 2060 super is going to be much bigger?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi there Mrgr74!

Thanks so much for the reply, sorry for my slow response, currently working at the moment.

I guess that looking at my current 8gb ram I had, seen it was ddr3 and thought best to purchase another 8gb stick of the same. I'll absolutely consider just moving to ddr4 though.

I really appreciate the link to motherboards. I get very confused as to what board is compatible with the processor I have, and will fit the 2060 super. I don't suppose there's any chance it will fit my current motherboard that holds the i5 7400k and 1050? Seems like the 2060 super is going to be much bigger?

Do you know the make & model of the motherboard you currently have? If so, please post it here and we'll be able to take a close look at it.

Sep 13, 2019
Do you know the make & model of the motherboard you currently have? If so, please post it here and we'll be able to take a close look at it.
When I've gone through system info in the past, it's been listed as HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-0xx?

Although when I Google image search this, it doesn't look like my motherboard. Sorry it this info isn't what you're looking for.